Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rotor/Pad Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rotor/Pad Install

I got my WDP rotors and pads installed up front but I couldn't get my rear rotors off to save my life (112k miles on my car, those rotors are on there). There is nothing holding them on is there? I thought they were just like the fronts. I've got ABS and TCS if that matters. Anyway, I'm going Thursday to have a place put the rears on for me, about how much do you guys think I should be paying for installing the rotors and pads as well as taking the caliper apart and getting it freshed up? Also, my front pads drag a little on my rotor, and it did this on my stock rotors and pads too. Is this normal or is something wrong (and if so, what)?
Old 11-08-2004, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove the rears with a 3 lb hammer. A few good whacks to the rotor face and it will come off (you may have to hit it pretty good).

Yes, they do lightly drag the rotors. Should be nothing to worry about.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BFH on the rear rotors. Sand the axle hubs to get the rust off and then knock the crap out of it.

Did you pull the guide pins and clean re-grease them? A sticky guide pin can cause the pads to drag.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:31 AM

I did not pull the guide pins and regrease them. Good info to know though (saw your article on InstallUniversity after I got the car back on the ground). I beat the living crap out of the rear rotors with a hammer, but not a 3 lbs hammer. A local place told me $100 to clean up and regrease the calipers front and rear as well as install my rear rotors and pads. Its either that, or go pick up a big hammer and some grease and do it myself. I honestly might just pay to let them do this one as it's a great shop that really takes care of cars and it would take me about the same amount of time to do it myself.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hate to ask the obvious, but did you release the parking brake first? You can beat the hell out of the rear rotors and they won't come off if the parking brake is on.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doh!!
Old 11-08-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
I hate to ask the obvious, but did you release the parking brake first? You can beat the hell out of the rear rotors and they won't come off if the parking brake is on.
You beat me to it. On the off chance that the PB was engaged, those rotors won't budge.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:59 AM

The parking brake was not set. I think I just need a bigger hammer. After 112k miles, these rotors do not want to release from the hub. I had about this much trouble trying to get the tranny seperated from the engine when I was doing my converter install at 80k miles.

Quick Reply: Rotor/Pad Install