Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Better Ride (Currently Semi-Drag Setup)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Better Ride (Currently Semi-Drag Setup)

In keeping with JS's recent post, it had me thinking about how much I hate my ride, and the major culprit are the HAL shocks all around, the HAL drag springs up front, and BMR lowering springs in the rear. I was thinking of going with the SLP/Bilstein shocks from Speed Inc for $400 and the Hotchkis 1" lowering springs from Arizona Speed to retain about the same ride height I currently have but get a better ride as well as better handling. How are the Hotchkis springs and would the combination with the SLP/Bilstein shocks be a good street combo? Would the regular Bilstein HD shocks be a better choice for this setup? I dont really want to deal with shipping the shocks off and having them revalved by Strano. Isn't that around $85 per shock? What exactly is done and how does it benefit over the regular HD or SLP/Bilstien shocks?

Last edited by josh99ta; 11-08-2004 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I dont really want to deal with shipping the shocks off and having them revalved by Strano. Isn't that around $85 per shock? What exactly is done and how does it benefit over the regular HD or SLP/Bilstien shocks?"

He has Bilstein revalve them to match the spring. Very worth it IMHO. The benefit over the HD/SLP's is the matching to the spring. In other words HD's and SLP's aren't bad shocks per se, you just need the spring to go with them. Call Sam, he can answer all the questions too, and sell you the HD's if that's what you decide.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

josh99ta before you go spending all that money first try your stock springs all around with the QA1's. I had the exact setup you did with the HAL front spring and BMR rears. It rode like **** didn't it? Install the rear stock springs with the garden hose and buy the BMR cups for the front QA1's and use the stock front springs. You will be much happier and save money. I did it and it rides very close to stock plus you have the adjustability for the track when needed. The ride height only changed 1/4" in the rear for me.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my stock springs sitting at the house, and I even ordered some BMR spring cups, but I just dont think swapping back to my stock springs are going to give me what I want (I want to be able to throw the car around as well). I've got my HAL setup for sale on my local board and if I dont hear anything from anyone wanting the setup then I'll probably do that just to see how it rides, but after reading Strano's post in the other thread with a similar topic as this I dont really want the HALs for daily driving as I drive the car on the street far more than I do on the track.

Quick Reply: Better Ride (Currently Semi-Drag Setup)