Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

tower brace

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question tower brace

is it worth getting a tower brace for WS-6?? is there a big difference in handling?? or corning?? if so...do i need to get heavy duty?? or regular would be fine.... please give me some info.. thank you
Old 11-09-2004, 09:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Click the link it should help out.
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...ut+tower+brace
Old 11-09-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The answer is YES YES YES! Man, this was by far the single most noticeable suspension mod I've made to date!
Old 11-09-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

so there is no differene in handling.... meaning not worth getting it...k thx.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Do what you want, but if you're looking for great handling, then you should get one. I drive on the autobahn on a daily basis, at speeds well in excess of 100mph, and I can honestly say that without a stb, I would be weary when cornering. Having said that, make your own judgment, not one based on what someone else says.

Last edited by JackZ28; 11-09-2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

BTW, did you even read the entire thread?
Old 11-09-2004, 12:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm not going to argue about if they help or not. I don't run one (and have run them in the past). I found them to be of little use in terms of feel of response). I have actually been able to flex some of them by leaning on them and while I'm not a tiny guy I'm not capable of inducing a force like the car might.

I'll also add that braces like thise were first used on strut cars (STRUT tower brace). We have a double a-arm coil-over shock arrangement. A strut uses the top of the tower as a suspension pickup point. Shocks because of the fact they have bushings at the bottom really don't get the forces induced on the tower like struts do. Most of the load is transmitted into the subframe.

This is one of those things you get very passionate response from. I'm sure some folks notice a difference and some do not. I do not believe it's a big difference at all on a 4th gen (3rd gen is a whole 'nother ball of wax) and would much sooner recommend putting that $100 or so to something much more tangible like a bigger front swaybar, or better shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-09-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Which ones were you able to flex by leaning on? Please tell
Old 11-09-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, if anyone would know, it's Sam Strano!

But, I still say it helped me tremendously in the corners. After experiencing the handling with and without, I would never go without again.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hotchkis... Can't flex the Edelbrock the tubular designs. If you are going add one, I'd really recommend the Edelbrock (assuming you don't have rules that make it illegal like I do) since it's a 3-point and actually triangulates the engine bay. And it's less money than some other too.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-09-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

after sam strano's posts i was a little hesitant to put in my .02, i had just recently added the eibach pro-kit springs and those made a huge difference. a week later a got a BMR chromemoly stb and i noticed a slight difference. the front end seemed to hold together a bit more. id say spend the $ on it eventually. if all else fails, it makes your engine bay look meaner
hey TX_SS, we have the same year/color/trans Ws6. thought i would mention that.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good for making your wallet a bit lighter and your car a bit heavier. I've tried autoX racing both with and without one and couldn't tell any difference. And that was with very sticky Hoosier race tires on concrete, so the suspension was really loaded. Like Sam says, that's not where the cornering forces are applied in a 4th gen.

Last edited by Cal; 11-09-2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Default Bmr Stb

I recently put a BMR STB on my car and I felt a slight increase in handling capabilities, the car feels more stable and the STB isn't the extreme duty one. It looks very cool, and I bought it from EAD Performance during there 15% off BMR sale. IMO it was totally worth it!.

Laters!
Old 11-09-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

i guess there is one way to find out...thank you soo much for the info guys...and to THE PREDATOR YES WE DO HAVE teh same car....only 609 made..in 2002... rare aint it?? and is ur car lowered??? if so...post some pix..i wanna lower my car.. but wanna see how it looks.. thanx...
Old 11-09-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

TX_SS- yes sir my car is lowered. sorry but i dont have a digital camera here in san antonio. i moved here for college. my mom has one in houston, so next time i go down i will snap some pics for you. i would highly recomend the eibach pro-kit, great stance and great performance. you wont regret getting these springs. your also going to want to get shocks/struts with the springs. i wish i would have done that all at once. im looking into bilsteins. say man, we also have the same avatar. this may help with pics/info https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/235860-pro-kit-bilstein-shock-strut-pics.html

Last edited by the predator; 11-09-2004 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

hey should i get this??
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=91

the whole package and bilsteins.... what do u think of BMR..
Old 11-09-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

that actually sounds good, that will be pretty much everything you need. i like BMR very much. thats what i plan on throwing on mine. except im getting the hotchkis sfc b/c the bmr ones hang down to much for lowered f-bodies. my find has an 01ss will all BMR products and he loves it. i drove it and it handled like a dream. i get my products @ http://www.motorsporttech.com/fbody_...n_brakes01.asp
Old 11-09-2004, 06:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well, if you read around you'll find some information you might be interested in.... Primarily that Bilstein's, while very good shocks, are valved to damp a stock type spring (and some feel are a little soft for even that). Adding a spring that is 30% stiffer and also shorter (which cuts into the working travel the shock need to damp said spring) doesn't exactly do great things to the shock's ability to damp the spring. And shocks are spring dampers.

Also note how progressive those springs are (see the coil spacing changing, that changes the spring rate). The spring's rate is changing all the time depending on how compressed it is. Remembering shocks are spring dampers, and you are damping a rate, one can see how a spring that's always changing rate is pretty hard to damp effectively and properly all the time. Also note how they say "adds about 100 pounds of rate (paraphrasing). Really? How do you tell, after all the rate is always in flux on progressive springs. And FWIW, stock springs are 292 and 114 or so.

If you go with a Pro-kit, you might be happy with a set of regular Bilstein HD's in both the short and long term. I can tell you now I would not be, as the HD's lack enough rebound damping to give me the really crisp response and lack of float I like. But, many have them and seem to like them (mostly because they have not experienced better). However, springs beyond the Pro-kit's rates are definitely getting well beyond the HD's ability to damp effectively. At that point you are wanting to look at something with the ability to control high rate springs like a Bilstein revalved to do so, or Koni's.

Pro-kit's and Bilstein HD's are bare minimum
Pro-kit's and Revalves or Koni's are better
If you want the best type of spring setup, I suggest looking at coil-overs because frankly, there is NO set of lowering springs out there that doesn't have some catch to it. Too soft, too stiff, too low, really progressive.... something.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the post and clearing things up, sam strano. how much do bilstein hds run? would u recomend konis over anyting out there? or is there another setup you prefer? the setup i want is going to be for the street/strip, especially something that will benefit me at the strip. thanks for the info.

Last edited by the predator; 11-09-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just give Sam a call, his phone numbers are at the bottom of his post. He will set you up with the parts you really need, without any of the BS parts that just waste your cash.