Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Right Rear Shock (?) Scrape...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Right Rear Shock (?) Scrape...

This has happened with the last two suspension setups I've had. First setup was off-the-shelf Bilstein HDs and LG G2 Super Springs and the current setup is HAL 12 ways and BMR springs. Both setups exhibit the same scraping sound from the right rear when I have alot of weight in the car (another passenger or something like my toolbox and set of track wheels and tires) and hit big bumps or dips in the road. It sounds alot like the tires rubbing inside the fenderwell very hard but I dont see that happening with the bumpstops there, so I have always thought it might be something with the shock. Does anyone else notice this and know the cause of it?
Old 11-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Supposedly 275's will rub, although I don't see how. The cars that came with them from the factory have spacers on the bump stops to prevent it from happening.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you looked inside the fender well to see if it is rubbing? It will be easy to see if so. check it out, it can rub over some bumps with enough weight in the car and some tire sizes. What tires are on the rear?
Old 11-10-2004, 11:43 AM

ROH Snypers with 275/40/17 Kumho Ecsta 712s, nothing out of the ordinary. I need to poke my head up in there and look around good, but I had the wheels off just the other day and noticed no rubbing spots in there.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cal
Supposedly 275's will rub, although I don't see how. The cars that came with them from the factory have spacers on the bump stops to prevent it from happening.
This car came stock with 245s so maybe I dont have those spacers on my bumpstops then? Especially considering that I'm lowered maybe that is what I'm hearing. Whatever it is, it sounds awful and makes me cringe when I hear it. Its a loud, sharp scraping sound.

Quick Reply: Right Rear Shock (?) Scrape...