Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Suggestions on new Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Suggestions on new Suspension

I need new supension and need to know what you guys perfer. What do you guys have and do you like them and why.
Thanks,
Ike
Old 11-17-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better yet, tell us what you want the car to do and we'll try to help. Do you want it to corner amazingly well? Do you drag race and have no interest in cornering? Do you want to lower it? Tell us what you do with the car and we can help.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

I want it to corner very well and still be able to do that vary rare visit to the track. So I guess all I want it to do is handle like crazy. I want to lower it but I have SLP LT's so I can't lower it much (roads around here are pretty good not a lot of pot holes).
Thanks
Old 11-18-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

One more thing I forgot to ask. What is the budget for this project?
Old 11-18-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99'Formula
I want it to corner very well and still be able to do that vary rare visit to the track. So I guess all I want it to do is handle like crazy. I want to lower it but I have SLP LT's so I can't lower it much (roads around here are pretty good not a lot of pot holes).
Thanks
So let me understand ....

You want great conering ability
You want it to launch well
You want good ride characteristics

Pick 2 and repost ...
Old 11-18-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mitchntx
So let me understand ....

You want great conering ability
You want it to launch well
You want good ride characteristics

Pick 2 and repost ...

I was getting to that....
Old 11-18-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think he was trying to say he wants it to corner and ride well, and the launching doesn't matter as much. He just wants that to be "ok" for the very occasional trip to the track. Correct me if I'm wrong, that's just the way I understood it.

I would think that adjustable shocks like Koni's would be a good start. From what I have heard they ride very well and since they are adjustable, they would help transfer weight at the track.

I don't know much about suspension so I'll let the other guys help you out with the rest.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by matts22
I think he was trying to say he wants it to corner and ride well, and the launching doesn't matter as much. He just wants that to be "ok" for the very occasional trip to the track. Correct me if I'm wrong, that's just the way I understood it.

I would think that adjustable shocks like Koni's would be a good start. From what I have heard they ride very well and since they are adjustable, they would help transfer weight at the track.

I don't know much about suspension so I'll let the other guys help you out with the rest.
Thats exactly what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. I can spend a little less than a thousand .
Old 11-19-2004, 02:24 AM
Teching In

As far as suspension, BMR hands down.
I am during the process of completing my setup..
So far, BMR Shocktower Brace,BMR Driveshaft Loop,BMR Adj. Panhard Rod, BMR LCA Reloc. Brackets, BMR Boxed LCA's.
Next will probably be the SFC's (which should be the first one )
Later, thinking about the BMR Xtreme Torque Arm, bigger sway bars, Anti Roll kit, and I can keep going all day...

First, start with the basic, and go on..

It's your choice regarding what you want to do, how do you want your car to handle, and what is more important to you.

Good Luck!
Old 11-19-2004, 05:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula1999
As far as suspension, BMR hands down.
Not ... gonna ... say ... it ...
Must .... show .... restraint ....

Kinder ..... Gentler .....
Old 11-19-2004, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99'Formula
Thats exactly what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. I can spend a little less than a thousand .

Buy good stuff, buy it once. Some of us have had less than good luck with BMR. Some people have had great luck with BMR. Mitch and I fit into the first category, your results may vary.

I'd suggest Koni SA shocks to start. You'll have about $700 in those. The front Koni SA has to mounting locations for the spring perch, if you use the lower one, you'll lower the car just about 1" (maybe slightly less). Then, remove the rear rubber spring spacer and use a section of heater hose on the top of the rear spring, that will lower the rear of the car to match. Is it optimum? It's pretty good, not perfect, but amazingly good. I'd save the money on springs (at least for now) and buy the better shocks (Koni's). Just trust me on this.

Then, order a 35mm front sway bar from Suspension Techniques, or call Sam at stranoparts.com and ask him for one of his hollow 35mm front bars (he has the Koni's too).

Take the last $100 and get an alignment. -.7 to -1.0 degrees camber, 4.5 castor and 0 toe (good street wear on the tires and a great increase in performance and grip).

Save your allowance and order an adjustable PHB (with at least one rod end). LG Motorsports make a nice one as do others.

We've run about $50 or so over budget, but you'll be quite impressed with the results.

That's how I'd spend your budget, and you may get the PHB in there for the $1,000 budget if you use the Suspension Techniques front bar (it's heavier than the hollow bar, but slightly less expensive....I have one of each right now).

My thoughts.