Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Relocation bracket question

Old 12-01-2004, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Relocation bracket question

Hey I picked up a used 12 bolt that has relocation brackets welded to it. When I installed it into my car there seems to be like 1/4 inch space inside the relocation bracket and the lower control arms.I have lakewood lca`s. My question is are there different bushings (larger ones ) that need to be used? or shims or a spacer? I am not sure what brand relocation brackets they are.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is a different shim to use. Are they the Spohn brackets (they have pics on their site)? I know on mine, there is a spacer and a bolt that your supposed to use in the stock mounting location which squeezes the bracket in to a nice tight fit. With out it, there would be a gap, not a 1/4" though. It could be they welded it on without sqeezing it together with that spacer and bolt. Does it look ok if you just tighten the bolt up to your LCA?

Dan
Old 12-03-2004, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

It looks like if i just tighten the bolt it would just squeeze ( BEND ) together the brackets since i am using the bottom hole. I do have the metel spacer in the stock location welded in. I have the car on a lift and I am realy unsure of what I should do at this point. MAby some washers? That cant be the way to go could it?
Old 12-03-2004, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

If you grab some grade 8 washers and use 1-2 per side to take up the slack, it will not hurt you any. Try to keep it to a minimum though... no more than 2. The bushing takes the brunt of the motion from the control arm. The washers are just there to stop side to side travel. Like I said, no more than 1 on each side of the bushing.

John
Old 12-03-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by offaxis
It looks like if i just tighten the bolt it would just squeeze ( BEND ) together the brackets since i am using the bottom hole. I do have the metel spacer in the stock location welded in. I have the car on a lift and I am realy unsure of what I should do at this point. MAby some washers? That cant be the way to go could it?
They sound like BMR's weld ins, I have heard of theres not having the right spacing plates where the control arm mounts.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

Is this something normal ? I dont want to rigging anything up at this point
Old 12-03-2004, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

I have the BMR weld-ins in my car and they didn't have this issue but a very good friend has the "same" weld-ins as me and his needed a washer on each side. They are not all exactly the same. There is a little variation or error you might say. It's normal. It shouldn't effect your use whatsoever.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

The spacing is there most likely due to that spacer and bolt not being tightened down to sqeeze it together before it was welded in place. If there is only a 1/8" space on each side, just sqeeze it together and make sure it's straight and centered. I personally don't like the washer idea unless it's the same size as the bushing or bigger..

Dan
Old 12-04-2004, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DanZ28
The spacing is there most likely due to that spacer and bolt not being tightened down to sqeeze it together before it was welded in place. If there is only a 1/8" space on each side, just sqeeze it together and make sure it's straight and centered. I personally don't like the washer idea unless it's the same size as the bushing or bigger..

Dan

I agree with the washer thing... I should have mentioned... it should definately be as big in outside diameter at the bushing or bigger. This will prevent any strange wear over time. Don't go with a little dinky washer.

John
Old 12-05-2004, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DanZ28

Dan
agree 100% if the bracket was welde on even slightly loose on the mount it will spread as soon as you weld it,also agree large diameter washer is probably the best fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Relocation bracket question