Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What are the best overall springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the best overall springs?

What are they? i mean i need them for a daily driver that will see both track time and road course days.

Needs to be comfortable and not to low for LT's and catted Y

BMR? G2? Hypercoil (?i heard they are adjustable?)? Eibach Pro-Kit? DMS? what else

please inform me?

Also off topic Bilstein or QA1 shocks with what springs?
Old 12-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Banned

You want to go with which activity as a priority? For example if you decide to focus on AX and be just fine for the street, that's a particular direction. OTOH you want to simply address street comfort, with a future option for open track fun, that's another thing. There's no best spring imo, there will always be something better/more relevant on the horizon.

Considering this, I would recommend Eibach as front springs as they are a reputable spring that handles dual duty very well. Plus they have their own research and development (not to mention what is tested here), and proven springs rate, so you know they won't be a shot in the dark.

For the rear your decision becomes more difficult because there are fewer rate options for the stock application, while keeping a reasonable ride height. So what is your priority?
Old 12-12-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Ground Control Coil-overs would be my suggestion. They give you total control over spring rates and ride height.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely NOT Eibachs . . . .
Old 12-13-2004, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Hotchkis baby. Pro Kits suck:
Old 12-13-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

I would go with H&R. I have had them on every Camaro (4 fourth gens) and think they are great. I drive regular city/highway and Auto X. Once they hit the stiff coil it's firm and like driving on a rail, smooth streets it feels like a Caddy. I would steer clear of Eibachs. Ground Control are great but are pricey.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

You pay for the best...
Old 12-13-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

No doubt about it, but since BMR and Pro Kits was also on the list I figured he was just getting into the scene. GC's will make people want to cry not only from the performance but the cost. I was suggesting a good entry level spring.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Oh, I know. I was just stating a near-fact
Old 12-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Eibach's cant be too bad as Sam Strano said they are the least of the evils out there as far as "package" springs go (meaning a spring with a preset spring rate, unlike the Ground Control stuff) and recommended them over BMRs, LGs, Hotchkis, etc. After owning LG springs, HAL springs, BMR springs, and then having Eibachs on the car now I have to say the Eibach springs have been the best all around spring IMO. No problems with sagging or anything and this is the third car they've been on (were on a 99 WS6 and a 97 SS). Just playing devil's advocate here.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

FWIW, I love my Hotchkis springs.

-Mike
Old 12-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Eibach's cant be too bad as Sam Strano said they are the least of the evils out there as far as "package" springs go (meaning a spring with a preset spring rate, unlike the Ground Control stuff) and recommended them over BMRs, LGs, Hotchkis, etc. After owning LG springs, HAL springs, BMR springs, and then having Eibachs on the car now I have to say the Eibach springs have been the best all around spring IMO. No problems with sagging or anything and this is the third car they've been on (were on a 99 WS6 and a 97 SS). Just playing devil's advocate here.
I agree, many people compete with Eibachs with good success. In addition Eibach fronts are linear and only lower the f-body 1" or so. I have read the rear sags from car to car and linear springs are more consistant handlers.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
GC's will make people want to cry not only from the performance but the cost.
I'm a believer in the adjustable GC kits and I can understand why the price would make you cry. They are about twice the price of drop springs ($425/all 4). But why would you cry from the performance? I don't understand.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

They give so much more feel to the driver by being adjustable, life is just that much better. I guess I could have used this
Old 12-13-2004, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

ok well this will soully be used on the street...and will see high speed turns and such (similar to that of road racing)...will see tack time and most likely not drag slicks...unless theres a spring that can tuck the tires AND lift the rear for them Mickey T's

i jkust want ride comfort and a large improvement in handling...handle like a vette...or a slightly modified one at that
Old 12-14-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

Stick with H&R, you can get them discounted at Cardomain store for about $200 just make sure you are getting the right model number. Hope that helps, and good luck!
Old 12-14-2004, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Shocks are always matched to the spring. Once you decide on what springs (or spring rates) then you can figure out the best shocks. The Koni SA up front can handle up to about 600lb springs and are rebound adjustable. The Bilstein HD's are better than the factory shocks but are still valved for about the factory spring rate. They can work OK with higher rates, say 400 or so, but the higher you go the less they will be able to control the oscilations. It sounds like you (02WS6Bird) want a auto-x/road coarse type setup. The auto-x set up is good for daily drivers and uses about a 500lb front and 125-150lb rear spring. As you move towards a road coarse setup the spring rates increase to say 550-600lb front and 150-175lb rear. That's still fine for a daily driver.

I have 550/170 and Koni SA shocks and a 35 solid front bar and is pretty much the same in feel as a Z06 vette I drove. You don't need a Koni rear shock, the 3rd gen Bilstein will do just fine. For the front, if the adjustable Koni SA is too much $, you can get Sam Strano to revalve a set of Bilsteins.

These combo's are proven on 4th gen F-bodies. They work and work well.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Shocks are always matched to the spring. Once you decide on what springs (or spring rates) then you can figure out the best shocks. The Koni SA up front can handle up to about 600lb springs and are rebound adjustable. The Bilstein HD's are better than the factory shocks but are still valved for about the factory spring rate. They can work OK with higher rates, say 400 or so, but the higher you go the less they will be able to control the oscilations. It sounds like you (02WS6Bird) want a auto-x/road coarse type setup. The auto-x set up is good for daily drivers and uses about a 500lb front and 125-150lb rear spring. As you move towards a road coarse setup the spring rates increase to say 550-600lb front and 150-175lb rear. That's still fine for a daily driver.

I have 550/170 and Koni SA shocks and a 35 solid front bar and is pretty much the same in feel as a Z06 vette I drove. You don't need a Koni rear shock, the 3rd gen Bilstein will do just fine. For the front, if the adjustable Koni SA is too much $, you can get Sam Strano to revalve a set of Bilsteins.

These combo's are proven on 4th gen F-bodies. They work and work well.
I have 500/150 springs. Couldn't be happier.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Question as I see this all the time, why a 3rd Gen Bilstein rear shock? Whats wrong with the shocks designed for the 4th Gens?
Old 12-14-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

First, you have to understand that the 3rd and 4th gen gen use the same rear susension. So parts are interchangable. Now the difference between these particular shocks is that Bilstein changed the valving some for their 4th gen shock. They softened the low speed valving and firmed up the high speed valving (in a nutshell, I'm not privy to the specifics). The end result is that the 3rd gen controls body movement better and from the guys that have tried them both, almost everyone prefers the feel of the 3rd gen. It has proven itself on the street and the track. If you already have the 4th gens in, then it may not be worth the cost to get new ones, but if you are going to buy them for the first time, it's better to get the 3rd gen version.

Make sense?

Quick Reply: What are the best overall springs?