Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ceramic vs. Semi metalic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ceramic vs. Semi metalic?

I know I spelled ceramic wrong Whats the difference between these types of pads? My car is street duty only so I dont want something thats dusts like crazy.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:17 AM
TECH Junkie

I have been using the ceramics and I have not noticed any real loss in stopping power over my stock pads but I also am no autocrosser. But they do not dust and do not squeak. I hate semi metallic cause they always seem to have a little sqeak but I guess they last forever.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

You spelled it correctly. The ceramic's are great for street use with little dusting. I ordered OEM GM pads because they reformulated them a couple of years ago and will not dust. I have chrome wheels, so I have to be picky.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
You spelled it correctly. The ceramic's are great for street use with little dusting. I ordered OEM GM pads because they reformulated them a couple of years ago and will not dust. I have chrome wheels, so I have to be picky.

Thats what Im looking for. I was thinking about getting the Wholesale Direct rotors and he offers semi metallic pads. Ive heard that you cant use ceramic pads with some rotors, but didnt know why...
Old 12-25-2004, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

I run the stock pads with iRotors and have no problems.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

How are ceramics for stopping power? Can they be used safely on a drag car or an autox car? Do they fade? Heat up to much?
Old 12-26-2004, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhtLT1
How are ceramics for stopping power? Can they be used safely on a drag car or an autox car? Do they fade? Heat up to much?
I've never measured the distance to compare for actual stopping distance, but there is no fade after I hit the brakes after the end of a 1/4 mile pass. I've never autox'd with them, so I can't tell you. They don't generate excessive heat and nowhere even close to the AC Durastop pads which you could see the steam coming off the rotors after a track pass and leave the wheels covered in brake dust.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys are talking about ceramic pads as if there is only one. There are several, some dust more than others. Is there a particular pad we are talking about?

Quick Reply: Ceramic vs. Semi metalic?