Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need some input about a suspension package

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some input about a suspension package

First off, I know next to nothing about suspension components, which is why I'm asking this...I'm looking at a "complete fbody lowering kit" from our sponsor Thunder Racing...this kit includes the following:

Your choice of springs (I'd probably go with the Eibach Pro-Kit)
BMR Weld-in Lower Control Arm Brackets
BMR Adjustable Panhard Rod

The package is $360, and for $40 you can get bolt-on brackets instead of the weld on ones. Now for my question- I was under the impression that if you're going to put aftermarket lowering springs on, the stock shocks cannot really handle them and therefore aftermarket shocks such as Bilsteins must be used also. So, if I get this lowering kit, would I have to get new shocks as well? If it matters, my only goal in doing this is to eliminate the 4x4 syndrome. I don't race the car or anything so it's not for performance reasons, but I really don't want the ride quality to go down the drain either.

Any input would be appreciated
Old 02-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Anyone...?
Old 05-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cfdemarco
Anyone...?
TTT I think we all would like to know this.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, here's my gist...

If this is more for looks than for anything else, you could opt for the SLP level one package, I believe the slightly stiffer than stock springs(Eibach makes these spring rates for SLP, softer and more forgiving than the Eibach Prokit springs) will drop your car close to an inch, and the SLP/Bilsteins shocks, you will be a happy camper:

Ride quality would not be diminished, actually it will probably feel better to you.

Looks-wise, you drop your ride height about 1 inch.

And, since you're not stressing performance, you could also get away with not buying the LCA brackets & adj. panhard bar, simply because these items are not essential for your driving needs...

Not that I would want my car set up this way, I'm just giving you an option based on your needs that you wrote here.

Now, if you want more performance, either straight-line or canyon carving, then there are MUCH more options for you. You will have to be more specific then, and come up with a $$$ amount for your spending budget...

FYI...LCA brackets are set up to correct the LCA angle on lowered f-bodies, this is most advantageous if you want better off the line traction.

Adjustable panhard rod(bar) is also for f-bodies with springs lower than factory, the adjustability can allow you to re-align the rear tires so that one side of your rear tires does not stick out more than the other side, definitely a must for a better tire alignment.

Again, not necessary if you want to have your car lowered just for looks.

My .02
Old 05-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Okay, here's my gist...

If this is more for looks than for anything else, you could opt for the SLP level one package, I believe the slightly stiffer than stock springs(Eibach makes these spring rates for SLP, softer and more forgiving than the Eibach Prokit springs) will drop your car close to an inch, and the SLP/Bilsteins shocks, you will be a happy camper:

Ride quality would not be diminished, actually it will probably feel better to you.

Looks-wise, you drop your ride height about 1 inch.

And, since you're not stressing performance, you could also get away with not buying the LCA brackets & adj. panhard bar, simply because these items are not essential for your driving needs...

Not that I would want my car set up this way, I'm just giving you an option based on your needs that you wrote here.

Now, if you want more performance, either straight-line or canyon carving, then there are MUCH more options for you. You will have to be more specific then, and come up with a $$$ amount for your spending budget...

FYI...LCA brackets are set up to correct the LCA angle on lowered f-bodies, this is most advantageous if you want better off the line traction.

Adjustable panhard rod(bar) is also for f-bodies with springs lower than factory, the adjustability can allow you to re-align the rear tires so that one side of your rear tires does not stick out more than the other side, definitely a must for a better tire alignment.

Again, not necessary if you want to have your car lowered just for looks.

My .02
How do you think that would compair to stock SS springs and Koni's S/A
Old 05-21-2005, 02:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow ride
How do you think that would compair to stock SS springs and Koni's S/A
Oh man, for better/optimum cornering, Koni shocks are by FAR the best shocks an f-body owner can buy...Those suckers will work with the stock springs GREAT...

But the fact that cfdemarco was mentioning possibly spending $360 on suspension upgrades, Koni's didn't come to mind. You can buy some Koni SA's for about $705.00 and then get them installed. With the Koni SA's, I also recall reading of a way to get them installed and dropping the car about .50-.75 inches from stock height, so that's another plus.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Oh man, for better/optimum cornering, Koni shocks are by FAR the best shocks an f-body owner can buy...Those suckers will work with the stock springs GREAT...

But the fact that cfdemarco was mentioning possibly spending $360 on suspension upgrades, Koni's didn't come to mind. You can buy some Koni SA's for about $705.00 and then get them installed. With the Koni SA's, I also recall reading of a way to get them installed and dropping the car about .50-.75 inches from stock height, so that's another plus.
Hey Carlos I see you live in Cypress. I live in Buena Park what is the chance I could see your lowerd car? 714 334-7151 Jim
Old 05-21-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow ride
Hey Carlos I see you live in Cypress. I live in Buena Park what is the chance I could see your lowerd car? 714 334-7151 Jim
I just left a message on your number, my home # is 714-761-9121