Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Roll Cage questions please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Roll Cage questions please help

i am getting ready to install a cage in my car, and wanted to know if a 6 point or a 10 point would be better? I have no back seats. It is a street car but is raced often, i want the cage so my car will be nhra legal, safety, and looks. Is there any unsafe disadvantages to having a cage in the car and not wearing a helmet. i will have 5 point harnesses. Also will a 10 point require any dash mods to get the bars in the front? Please chime in with andy info or opinions, espicially those with cages already in there cars. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think rollbars and cages get discussed a little more in the racing section. The front bars on a 10 point cage pose a head injury risk when not wearing a helmet. Roll bar padding isnt really meant to protect your bare head either. Also, wearing a 5-point harness is not something i would want to do on the street... The 3-point shoulder belt is designed for your body to twist some and in order for your airbag to do its job, you need to be wearing the 3-point seatbelt... also, a by wearing 5-point harness without a head restraint, you run the risk of snaping your neck since the rest of you is restrained, but your head keeps on moving.

There's always a lot of gray area in the debate over safety. I see it like this
1. Street car, some drag racing, a 6-point cage for a little added structural integrity, Airbags and seatbelts functioning as intended.
2. Street car, lots of drag racing, whatever sanctioning body regulations are required, just to be able to run. Head restraints not needed since still not fast enough to really be in danger of crashing at track. Airbag still intact, wears 3-point seatbelt on the street, hopes not to hit head on cage in crash
3. Full race car, by this time, airbag has been removed, no 3-point harness anymore, race harness and head restraint, full cage ok because driver is strapped in.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

i dont drive the car that much, it is a 2001 with 22k on it, no rain, only special weekends, races, gatherings etc. So i am not concerned as much with comfort, as i am with style and safety. I am running high 11 low 12 at the strip ( i am not worried about crashing at the track as much as i am someone crashing into me on the street) Would there be an issue with hitting your head on the roof bars if you are strapped into a harness? Also i have replaced the factory seats with racing seats and i am a short fella, so i have to sit close to the wheel as the seat will allow, would the airbag be able to do its job (keeping my head and neck from going so far foward that it breaks) with me sitting closer. I am not interested in wearing a helmet and HANS device while going to Wendy's ") Would a 6-point provide enough support to the roof to prevent collapse in a roll-over?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

For my next major mod I plan on going with a 4pt. Im going custom with it (have a friend that owns a shop). One of the main reasons im going custom is becasue I want the main hoop to be tucked behind the B-pillar and out of the way of my head. Im getting it basicly for chassis stiffness and a harness attatchment point. To go along with this I also plan to use race buckets also. Me personally I see nothing wrong with the use of a 5 point on the street as long as you have some sort of roll over protection. I would not recomend a 10 point for any car that will see the street. And last but not least, when it comes to saftey equitment, its up to the user to decide how much is needed.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RpSS4844
I am not interested in wearing a helmet and HANS device while going to Wendy's ")
Ha, I was just there a while ago. I just wear a "special Ed" retard helmet to protect my head from the roll cage when i'm out cruising. Breathes better than a full race helmet
Old 08-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your race seats have a high enough back/head rest, your head can't hit the main hoop. I was in a roll over accident once in a car equipted with standard seat belts, and I got a neck injury that took seven years to heal. Now I have a six point cage with five point harness, and I wear the harness all the time, even to Wendy's. When you get used to it, it's not bad at all.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cal is a six point cage legal in SCCA? I'm curious because I'm hoping next year, God willing, to start getting into it. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I've been avoiding the possibility installing a 6 point because I though they required a min. of an 8 point or 10 point cage.

Quick Reply: Roll Cage questions please help