Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: how important is replacing struts when lowering car?
stock shock/strut is garbage and will need to be replaced
55.56%
stock stuff will do,but dont expect much
33.33%
stock stuff will work great, no need to replace w/ aftermarket
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

how important is replacing struts and springs together?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how important is replacing struts and springs together?

getting ready to lower my '01 ws6 w/ dms springs and now would be the best time to replace the shocks/struts. how poor is the ride quality and handling w/out replacing the shocks/struts? i guess i would go w/ the tokico hp's or bilstein's hd's. i guess my real question is are the stock shock/stuts worth a sh*t after the car is lowered?
Old 08-27-2005, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Depending on your driving style, the stock shocks may last a few weeks or a year or two. Either way going with a good aftermarket shock, you will see a change weather your going in the twisties, or just ridding on the freeway.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:10 AM
Staging Lane

the stock strut/shock combo is barely meets the requirements for the stock spring rates. Any change in suspenion/spring rates i would suggest going w/ bilstein revalves/koni's or at the very least bilstein HD's w/ 3rd gens in the back. You will be happier in the end. I have revalves up front w/ 3rd gens in back, and i plan on going w/ koni's after these shocks crap out or once i have enough cash to upgrade. But the tockico's are pretty much the kyb/agx shocks of imports. which imo are crap. So i wouldnt plan on doing anything but cruising on them. Spend the cash now or spend it later. Your choice btw im running the original G2 super springs.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

thanks stang killer, guess i will be ordering shocks
amadeus, what are the 3rd gens in the back? sorry, new to the f-body's.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cobra29svt
thanks stang killer, guess i will be ordering shocks
amadeus, what are the 3rd gens in the back? sorry, new to the f-body's.
the Bilstein HD"s for 3rd gen fbodies 82-92 and the 4th gen fbodies 93+ are exactly the same except for the valving, they are interchangeable on either car. since 3rd gen and 4th gen fbodies use the same rear suspension setup. But the 3rd gen shocks are stiffer than the ones for 93+ fbodies. I hope you get what im saying. if u do a search u should find this topic discussed a few times, as to why they are better.

basically the bilstein HD (REAR) shocks for the 82-92 fbodies are stiffer than the ones for the 93+ and they bolt right in.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

thanks amadeus, i get it. ordered some bilstien hd's
Old 08-30-2005, 09:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

You didn't do enough research..... It's all over these boards. Bilstein HD's are valved for the stock spring rates. Can you use them? Yes. Do they offer the damping you need for the springs you have? No. And using HD fronts with 3rd gen rear is unwise as the rear shocks are then more aggressive than the fronts, which are the ones that are most severly lacking when HD's are used.

Shocks are spring dampers. You're upping the spring rate a bunch, and then even shortening the available travel the shock has to do it's damping. Then you toss on a set of springs valved for the stock springs that are a lot softer and taller too. It'll be ok at first, but you'll notice over the long term the ride start to get worse and the stability of the car weaken as the shocks weaken from being overwhelmed by spring rate they weren't intended for. And what will really make you realize is when you ride in a car with appropriate shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: how important is replacing struts and springs together?