Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How much of a drop do these springs give me?

Old 11-10-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much of a drop do these springs give me?

EIB 3870-140

That's all i know about them. The dude i bought the car from had already put them on and that was the number on his "invoice" thingie. I want to know because i'm going to be replacing them with springs that DON'T lower it as much as that. Here's what these springs have gotten me soo far

I think they are 2" lowering springs but i dunno. It's pretty freakin' low that's all i know. I need to raise my car AT LEAST 1 more inch. I wanna know what would be a good buy? Y'all think one inches will still be too low? It's kinda weird how you think about it..... i want to "raise" my car but i have to buy "lowering" springs to do it. All i know is that i need more than what i've got in this picture. AT LEAST an inch more. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

EDIT- after just checking Eibachs site, that part number apparently is for the "Pro" kit, which I mention below. Hmm. Looks lower than the Pro kit though from pics. If you're having clearance issues with a 1" drop, you don't need ANY lowering springs.

You've got Eibach Sportlines and yes they are low

They are fine for cars w/o LT's, custom ehaust, duals, boxed susp. pieces, etc.

I just put mine on last weekend and love them, but they're not for everyone. You could go with the Eiback "Pro" kit, which are their "not-so-low" kit. They might give you an inch or so but not much more. Anything less than 1" and it's not even worth it IMO.

Of course a lot of people here will badmouth Eibach and recomend other brands, which is fine. Different strokes for different folks. I will say from my own personal experience I've had Eibachs on several different cars I've owned over the years and the ride/quality has been outstanding thus far. Check out our vendors list to the ------->

You'll find lots of different brands that advertise right around a 1" drop...

Jon

Last edited by COMNBYU; 11-10-2005 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

So you're saying my springs are only a 1" drop?!?!? Holy cow. I wonder WTF a 2" drop is on mine

I'm having trouble seeing that my springs are only set to lower my car 1 inch under my stock springs. From the looks of those pics, that's insane.

Well, looks like i'll be going with stock springs, or at least stock height. Do you have any idea where i could find stock springs or aftermarket springs that are the same heighth?

Wow, it's just hard to believe all i can do is raise it one inch and i'll be back up to stock heighth.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Any idea where i can find stock springs? How much will they run me you think?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Launching!

I think you miss read COMNBYU post i think he was saying you have the sportlines that lower 2".
Old 11-11-2005, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

No, I don't think he mis-read it, although it was a little confusing

I first posted that they were Sportlines (the lowest Eibachs- around 2"), but then checked Eibachs site AFTER I posted to double check those part #'s, and then edited my post.

If VRBAS is reading the right part #, then the springs on his car are indeed the Pro kit springs, which only lower around 1", if that.

I stated that from the pics it looked like he had Sportlines on.

His options are simple- 1. If he has the Sportline kit, just switch to a drop that gives around 1". 2. If he has the Pro kit, then he really should go back to stock springs going by the pics.

PS- VRBAS, any local junkyard should have some '93-'02 stock springs, if you have to go that route. Around here they go for $50-75.

Jon
Old 11-11-2005, 11:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

3870.140's are Pro-kits, not Sportlines. They say they drop the car about 1.3", but often it's more up to about 1.75" in the rear. That's beside the point. You want to be higher, but really because of the lowest part of the car, which is the cut-out, something a spring company doesn't and can't account for.

If you want to raise the car, we can, and no you don't have to go back to the stock springs to do it. There are lowering springs that are not as low as what you have, but not as tall as stock springs either.

If you'd like to talk about which suit you better, just give me a ring. I will say this here and now. If you have stock shocks on it, you should change them. If you won't or can't, I'm going to tell you to go back to stock springs so the shocks and the springs work together as best they can.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much of a drop do these springs give me?