Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 Coilovers lighter than the Leaf Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C5 Coilovers lighter than the Leaf Springs?

Does anyone actually know the weight difference and the benefits of going to a coilover?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to be somewhat uninformed, but would some examples be?:

LG: http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...roducts_id=272
Doug Rippie Motorsports (availability status unkown)
Corvette Mike (availability status unkown)
Breathless Performance
Callaway (availability status unkown)

They all pretty much appear the same design, however I would assume that the coil springs would be lighter than the leaf spring system, plus there would be some height adjustibility and less "cross feedback" from the leaf spring system. I would say that ATI's Penske setup would weigh slightly more since they employ external reservoirs.

I believe the ATI ones would be nearly identical to the Mallet Penske system.

Even if the non-reservoir systems above didn't weigh much, they could be an option, though I have never operated any "professional style" externally adjustible shocks. One thing I would like to note would be that you might have a heck of a time installing and adjusting them since the C5 wheel well has some tight confines and has an already low OEM height (though I would desire it to be lowered if the performance would be enhanced).

Even though I now use the Camaro equivalent LG G2 coilover system, I would warn that if you opt for them, you might need to be aware that the spherical bearings need some extra attention since their lifespan is about +/- 2 yrs. FWIW, I like having shocks that have spehrical bearings and have proper valving to compensate for the slop created by the rubber, since it allows the shocks to really dampen accurately without having to factor in the slight dampening qualities of the rubber bushings. Nevertheless it is a noticeably stiffer ride with much improved handling (except when the ground is very wet).

Last edited by Foxxtron; 07-05-2009 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Update possible company information and removal of non-sponsor links.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:54 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the information to read..
Old 01-03-2006, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

No problem. I hope it helps.

Here's one persons' experience with the G2 custom-coil-over:
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/revi...php?product=63

EDIT: LG may also offer an alternative selection of shocks to the ASN bilsteins that may have adjustibility, probably including Penske and Moton, amongst others (of course for a much added expense as well).

I would also like to further comment that another person here might have something in the way of coil-overs to offer you, which is Sam Strano. You might give him a call also, or wait for him to chime in.

Last edited by Foxxton; 01-03-2006 at 06:31 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-03-2006, 11:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you all ever picked up a C4 or C5 leaf spring? It doesn't weigh anything at all, and they work extremely well too. And feedback isn't really an issue at all, the spring is mounted hard at two points, the spring can't flex through the mount, which really only makes it effective at the one corner.

I say save your money and just put on a set of good shocks. I'm partial to the Koni 3013's, or the 2812's (which can be inverted for next to no unsprung weight, plus they are aluminum too) depending on just what the goal is.

Here's what I'd do (and I know this from working with first SuperStock C5's, then Z06's, and now ASP Z06 autocross/light track cars. Install GOOD shocks. Run a 32mm hollow front bar. Those are for sure. On a couple cars we even backed the rear bar down a few mm's (depending on the OEM size, Z51 vs. Z06, etc.) The result is a very balanced and easy to drive car. Where a lot of the guys are running a lot toe-in for rear stability (sometimes up to 1/2"), we don't need too. We've been as low as zero toe in the back on some cars.

Again: Shocks first. Work the bars second, and I'd suggest just a set of take-off Z06 springs as the starting points for any C5.

And I forgot to mention.... you can corner weight and change the ride height in those cars with the leaf springs in place. The balance is quite good to start with and the leaf springs have height adjusting bolts. Taking two of the bigger advantages coil-overs offer out of the equation.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-03-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow! Sam sure knew what he was talking about. This how to diagram displays a need to mark the bolt to ensure the ride height you have before performing a laef spring swap. It would sure beat installing a coil-over in that tight confine.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=20
Old 01-03-2006, 05:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you wanted to have more adjustment on the height, you can buy longer adjustment bolts too. But frankly, too many people slam the C5. I lower them only a little bit, generally .5-.75" from stock.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-03-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not hijack, however do they make 3013's, or are they 3012's?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

3013 is the off the shelf Koni.

2812's typically what folks go with, but I don't see any reason Koni could not, or would not build you 3012's if you liked.

Quick Reply: C5 Coilovers lighter than the Leaf Springs?