Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Problem after alignment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem after alignment.

I installed my eibach prokit, Bilsteins, and American racing TT's recently. I drove it approximately 250 miles and everything looked and drove great. Took it to NTB to get it aligned. After the alignment, the Right front tire is almost 3/8" further in at the top than the drivers side. The drivers side tire is nice an flush, but the passenger side like tucks up in there. Its enough that I noticed when washing the car. I took it back, and they said that "an alignment could not cause that". Is that true? I checked the wheel spacing, its correct. I am really frustrated at this point.

Here are the Specs from the alignment.

___________ Left Front _____ Right Front
Camber____ -0.1* _________ -0.1*
Caster_____ 5.1* __________ 5.1*
Toe _______ -.02" ________ -.01"
Old 04-03-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

an alignment could easily cause that problem. Is the top further in and the bottom further out? If so, your camber on that side is too negative.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

The alignment specs look to be ok, but negitive camber will cause the wheel to sit in further at the top. how are you taking the measurments?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the body could be damaged and not aligned correctly. I had a TA before that had that problem, had been in a wreck and the front end was lined up right (fenders and stuff were off) One of my wheels was deeper than the other, but it was cause the fender wasn't lined up right.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Those alignment numbers look very good but, even if those are the actual after alignment numbers it doesn't mean that the camber plate hasn't slipped. I would take your after alignment/actual numbers and take the car to another shop. Ask them if they put it on the machine and it is in spec if they will give you a reduced price for the checkout? A car that is out of alignment not only wears tires and gets reduced gas mileage but, it can be dangerous. I would spend the slight amount of money it will cost and get it rechecked.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those alignment specs have got to be incorrect

there is no way they got -.1 degrees negative camber if you are lowered with a prokit on stock control arms. its not possible, there isnt enough adjustment

the closest they might be able to get is -.6 to -.7 degrees
Old 04-05-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
those alignment specs have got to be incorrect

there is no way they got -.1 degrees negative camber if you are lowered with a prokit on stock control arms. its not possible, there isnt enough adjustment

the closest they might be able to get is -.6 to -.7 degrees
You might be surprised with how much adjustment there is, i have lowering springs that drop as much as a pro-kit and i just got my car aligned and the camber is perfect, maybe -.1 If that. The front wheels line up perfect with the rears as far as camber and toe.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My hunch is that either the body isn't straight/matched (build tolerances on these cars are legendary for being sloppy) or you might have a bent spindle. I recently had a TA in my garage (to look it over) with the same problem. It turns out that both front spindles were bent, one was really bad and one was minimal. So, one tire set flush and one was back under the fender (as you describe). The spindles on these cars are easy to bend in an impact, I'm going to place my bet on those.

Also, as the spindles bend, they seem to bend in the direction of positive camber (hitting curbs? beats me), so that might explain the -.1 adjustment as well.

Also, the K member could be off center. Rare, but possible.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trackbird
My hunch is that either the body isn't straight/matched (build tolerances on these cars are legendary for being sloppy) or you might have a bent spindle. I recently had a TA in my garage (to look it over) with the same problem. It turns out that both front spindles were bent, one was really bad and one was minimal. So, one tire set flush and one was back under the fender (as you describe). The spindles on these cars are easy to bend in an impact, I'm going to place my bet on those.

Also, as the spindles bend, they seem to bend in the direction of positive camber (hitting curbs? beats me), so that might explain the -.1 adjustment as well.

Also, the K member could be off center. Rare, but possible.
Was it easy to see the bend? I am going to pull the wheels off tonight and take a look.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 11secLS1
Was it easy to see the bend? I am going to pull the wheels off tonight and take a look.
No, you won't see it. How I managed to figure it out was to look at the lower control arms and where they were in the camber adjustment. The one that was sticking out flush was almost all the way out (to what would be full negative) because the wheel was "bent under" the car, so you had to slide the lower control arm out to get the camber back to spec. The other side was not as bad and we suspected that they were both bent and a good alignment shop confirmed it.

In theory (if the car is straight), the front lower control arms should be in about the same location on each adjuster. If one is full out (away from the oil pan) and one is full in (close to the oil pan), there is a good chance that the side that is full out is bent (and it's full out to get the wheel back to 0 camber). So, you can't see the bent spindle, but you'll see signs of it if you know what you are looking at. Or, get some good digital pictures of the lower control arms where they bolt to the car (so I can see the adjustments) and the way the car sits (the flush wheel, etc) and pm me for an e-mail address. Send them to me and I'll gladly take a look and see if I can tell anything from them. It's not a problem, I'm glad to try to help.

Kevin
Old 04-05-2006, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

PM sent!

Quick Reply: Problem after alignment.