Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

For the love of all things good, but subframe connectors on your cars

Old 04-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation For the love of all things good, but subframe connectors on your cars

Well, in about 40 minutes I'm leaving to go to my cousin's funeral. Last Thursday night, he and a friend (His friend was driving) were going home from hanging out with other friends. Somehow, the driver fell asleep or took a corner too fast or something, but the car slammed right into a tree. When it hit, it bent in the middle like an upside down V. The driver received minor injuries, but my cousin (Who was wearing his seat belt) was thrown throw the passenger side T-Top, hitting the same tree the car hit with his head. Luckily, his death was almost instant.

My theory is, if they were SFCs on the car, it wouldn't have crumpled like it did, and my cousin would still be here. So, for the love of your life (And your friends' life), but SFCs on your car. It's a really horrible feeling knowing that your cousins life could have been saved with $200.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry to hear of your cousins passing. It's even worse when it's someone so young.

If I may make a suggestion though, SFC's probably wouldn't have done much in an accident like you describe. In bending (from the side) is the weakest part of an SFC. They do well in torsion (twisting) and front to rear (on end), but from the side they will kink just like the chassis. The cars chassis very likely has far more resistance to bending loads than the SFC's do. They will add some extra strength in that direction, but probably not enough to handle a heavy impact. I'm going to suspect that a full cage and racing seat belts would have been required in this case (simply based on your statements), and even that's not always 100%.

Again, I don't want to take anything away from the first part of this discussion. Your cousin will be in my thoughts. I just don't want anyone to get the idea that SFC's are a miracle safety cure either. They may help somewhat, but when you are dealing with the amount of energy that's involved in an automobile crash, they are not nearly as strong as you'd think (in relation to the energy/power involved).

Godspeed.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry about your cousin...but i also think SFC's wouldnt have done a thing.

common sence and maturity would have....its kinda like saying gun locks keep kids safe...no...good parenting does.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I am sorry for your loss.

Respectfully,

Jeff Foster
Old 04-05-2006, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

I am sorry for your loss. God bless you and your family.
Respectfully,
Chanse Tekell
Old 04-05-2006, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry to hear about your loss.
I wish you and your family the best.

Respectfully,
Brian Arthus
Old 04-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, but apologies for even starting this thread in the first place. My dad had told me it was a Trans Am, but I just saw pictures of the car. It was a Grand Am, and there's no chance in hell that SFCs would have helped.
Link to pictures, if anyone wants to see. It's pretty ugly.
Again, thanks for the kind words.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i just saw the pictures...im really sorry about what happened.

hows your family doing?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Teching In

My condolences go out to you and your family.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. My immediate family has taken it pretty well, but my aunt and uncle and a few of my other cousins are pretty shaken up. His high school friends (Graduated 5 years ago) were also in bad shape.

Mods, you can lock this thread if you feel it's too OT.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

It could make for a good discussion.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

that is unless you want me to close it
Old 04-07-2006, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Man o Man that looks bad. Very sorry about your cousin
Old 04-07-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

i just got mine in today, but on a more respectful and serious note i'm very sorry of the loss. my regards, kyle
Old 04-07-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry for your loss. But I think the only subframe connectors that might have any chance of holding the shape of the car would be double diamonds. The two-point sfc's would probably snap like a pencil under that kind of force. The DD have the middle bar going across the floor pan to the other sfc in the weak area.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:51 PM
12 Second Club

Condolences to you and your family. Sorry for your loss.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

I too am sorry for your loss and will pray for you and your family.

Speaking as an automotive engineer, there is nearly nothing that could have saved him in terms of chassis bracing. The only thing that MAY have helped would be a 10 point roll cage. The impact forces to tear a car apart like that are unbeliveably high. There is no way you can design a passenger car to handle an accident like that with the forces seen at impact. especially from the side (the weakest point).

During an impact cars are designed to "absorb" the energy by deforming the metal in a predetermined fashion. The more the metal around you is deformed, the softer the impact on the occupant. However, keeping the occupant restrained and unaffected by the metal deformation is another hard task and can only be designed for a few circumstances (mainly front and offset front impacts) and even then, the speed at which it becomes no longer effecitve was far surpassed in your cousins vehicle.

I guess what im saying is, in the automotive community, it is awful to see people die in the cars you or your co-workers have designed portions of and in some way feel responsible. Saftey is #1 priority however there is no way to handle cases such as this, To design cars with that much structural integrity (i.e. weight+$$) would put the automotive companies out of buisness (as if they werent headed that way anyhow)

Im not trying to justify anything, it is horrible what has happened.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Teching In

(I don't want the thread closed, I just thought that you guys might feel it was OT)

The car hit head on, and when the crash was described to me, my dad said the car bent in the middle, making the roof straight up and down, facing the tree. he said my cousin went through the roof, and I assumed the only way for someone to go through the roof of a car was a glass T-Top. Of course, he also told me it was a trans am, but it turns out it was a grand am. Once I saw the pictures I knew my theory held no water, but from the original description of the crash, it sounded like SFCs could have helped by keeping the car from bending in the middle.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry about your loss, hope everything goes ok with the family!
Old 04-08-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry to hear, my condolences.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For the love of all things good, but subframe connectors on your cars