Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Who have K-member? Or know some info…ENTER

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Who have K-member? Or know some info…ENTER

How much is the weight between aftermarket k-member and the stock one?
How hard is the aftermarket k-member? If in case an accident happens! What is the time reduction can I get from it?
Old 04-15-2006, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

a tubular k-member is a 25lb reduction in weight. No I would not use it for the street if its an everyday driver....they dont hold up to potholes and normal everyday driving to well so i dont think it would hold up in an accident to well either if that should occur.You wont see that much of a time decrease from 25lbs.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Some friend said it's less weight but strong??
Old 04-18-2006, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

yeah its 25lbs less then the stock k-member and not nearly as strong
Old 04-18-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

a tubular steel tube is stronger than a stamped steel plate, the 2 dont compare when it comes to flexing...not to mension the options of rod ends...your car will handle much stiffer compared to stock

oh and if an accident happens your sol regardless
Old 04-18-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Some companies have street versions and claim they can hold up to daily use. I think UMI has thier new one and theres another company aswell I think. What are your thoughts on those?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after dragging a few k-members around the shot i have to say, the stock k-member is a beast. tubular k-member is for race only. iv heard accounts of them breaking from a very hard turn on good tires.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

i have seen tubulars break at the welds from just normal everyday driving. I cant speak for the new UMI k-member but I can for the older models of different brand k-members and the 25lbs less is really not worth the price or the damage if it snaps and you end up in a tree.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Pro Fab chromeoly tubular K member and havent had one problem with my car. I do alot of street driving. Chromoly is stronger than mild steel, and also weighs less. I take alot of corners hard etc and havent had one noise problem etc.
The Pro Fab K member weighed in at 19LBS, I belive the stock one is somewhere like 56 Lbs.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blown 346
I have a Pro Fab chromeoly tubular K member and havent had one problem with my car. I do alot of street driving. Chromoly is stronger than mild steel, and also weighs less. I take alot of corners hard etc and havent had one noise problem etc.
The Pro Fab K member weighed in at 19LBS, I belive the stock one is somewhere like 56 Lbs.
Just because it's chromemoly doesnt make the welds stronger and from what the last couple of post are saying that is the week point correct?
Old 04-19-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Chromeoly is stronger, now the stress points of the welds are another story. My welds have been fine and dont shpw any sign of wear or stress.

From what I know about welding, the weld is the strong part, it does hold everything together. It shouldnt break, if it does the weld was **** to begin with.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:54 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

blown346 - how many miles have you put on the chromemoly k-member on the street? What are your roads like (condition)?

Also, you said you've taken lots of hard turns, ever do any auto-x/ORR with slicks or super sticky tires with that k-member?

Logically one would expect any aftermarket peice to be stronger, but apparently they all break, so I'd be interested to know more about your experience with it. (I'm starting to wonder if the stock piece flexes by design to absorb impacts and aftermarket ones are too stiff/brittle....)
Old 04-19-2006, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

its not the turns that you have to worry about with a tubular k-member its the potholes and all the other hazards of the road that you encounter during everyday driving that you have to worry about. And no matter how hard you try or how careful you are you simply cant avoid every road hazard.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HPP
blown346 - how many miles have you put on the chromemoly k-member on the street? What are your roads like (condition)?

Also, you said you've taken lots of hard turns, ever do any auto-x/ORR with slicks or super sticky tires with that k-member?

Logically one would expect any aftermarket peice to be stronger, but apparently they all break, so I'd be interested to know more about your experience with it. (I'm starting to wonder if the stock piece flexes by design to absorb impacts and aftermarket ones are too stiff/brittle....)
I have put over 9 K on the new K member, A arms, and lower control arms. The roads by me arent the greatest, you will rarely get asmooth surface to cruise on.
I dont Auto X but I have had slicks on the car, but mainly for street driving I always have drag radials.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:34 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

I meant road racing slicks (all around). If you're a drag racer, that still leaves a question about ability to stand up to (extremely) hard cornering.

Thanks though.

Quick Reply: Who have K-member? Or know some info…ENTER