Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

loose rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question loose rotors?

hey guys, i was just lookin at my front brakes and noticed that when the front end is in the air w/ the tires off, the hubs don't spin very well at all... i drew a line on the rotors and it gets rubbed off almost instantly by the pads.

i also noticed that the rotors are really loose, like there is alot of play in them. i can easily move the studs back and forth in thier holes. is this ok? also, i drew a line on the rotors w/ a sharpie and noticed it got rubbed off in just a few rotations, so there is definately some interference, but is this reduced by bolting on the wheels?

TIA
Old 04-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Launching!

well, considering that the only thing holding the rotors on to the car are the brake calipers and pads, it doesn't surprise me that their would be some play back and forth with the rotor.

If you can move the studs, change those immediatly as you will loose a wheel one day and have to move the car on brake rotors alone...

Pads will usually be very close to the rotors, maybe enough to erase a sharpie mark that is still somewhat wet.

Change out the studs and you should be fine...
Old 04-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Launching!

i'm not sure, but i think its the rotors that're actually moving around the studs, like, its not like each individual stud moves, they all move in relation to the rotor... its difficult to explain correctly, but it feels like the rotors are pretty much just sitting there loose, i just wanted to make sure thats correct... theres some play between the rotor and the studs is all, maybe i'll take a short video clip of it...
Old 04-16-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the wheel is off and theres play in the rotor thats normal. If you have the wheel on and you can shake the wheel and there play thats not normal. The wheel and lug nuts are what hold the rotors in place. Its not like some older cars that with the wheel off the rotor was still in its proper place. Thats why it important to torque your lugs to 100ft lbs in a criss cross pattern.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

theres some kind of locking washer that you can buy that will hold rotors tight, so u dont have that problem. does anyone know what im talking about?
Old 04-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Launching!

yeah they were on my Firehawk when I replaced the brakes for the first time. The washer was placed on one of the studs to keep the rotor from wiggling around more. They broek when I took them off though.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

off topic, but what size are the stock rotors? thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 07:48 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I mentioned those washers on another thread. the guy said his TT2s werent sitting flush on the hub. those washers must be removed because the TT2 does not have a recessed area on the back around each stud like the stock wheels do.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

I think those washers come on the car stock...their only purpose is to hold the rotors in place on the assembly line...unless there are some you can buy aftermarket for the same purpose while you have your wheels off..?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what he is talking about is the holes in the rotors for the wheel studs are descently larger then the actual wheel stud. Not a close fit and you can twist the rotor backa nd forth and the studs dont move. My 99 SS is like this too, as well as my buddies 00 WS6. Apparently nothing to worry about, but it doesnt seem right and made me wonder first time i saw this too!
Old 04-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
I think what he is talking about is the holes in the rotors for the wheel studs are descently larger then the actual wheel stud. Not a close fit and you can twist the rotor backa nd forth and the studs dont move. My 99 SS is like this too, as well as my buddies 00 WS6. Apparently nothing to worry about, but it doesnt seem right and made me wonder first time i saw this too!
exactly, thanks for putting my mind at ease.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

When you have the wheels off, try screwing on a few lug nuts up snug against the rotors. Then check your clearance.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:33 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RAIDER
off topic, but what size are the stock rotors? thanks
11.8 inches
Old 04-25-2006, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

I was wondering the same thing..I just painted my calipers and noticed the play in the rotors/studs. Lately I get a slight loose feeling in the rear, more noticable when going from reverse to drive, I was thinking it could be the movement of the rotor. I only started noticing this after I changed from 16x8 wheeels to the 17x9.5. I always put the lugs on in the star pattern too.

Quick Reply: loose rotors?