Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Hose And Front Perch Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Hose And Front Perch Mod

Does anyone know where I can get a write up of the REAR HOSE MOD and THE FRONT PERCH MOD? I know that you can do the rear hose mod by itself but for the front perch mod do you need shocks?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

the front perch mod is done with the koni shocks. theres a ring thats moved down on the front shocks (moves the spring down about 1/4" and translates to about a 3/4" drop on the front with stock springs)

you can move the snap ring with snap ring removers and move it to the lower notch (with the springs off of course) and then mount the springs.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Powered By V8
the front perch mod is done with the koni shocks. theres a ring thats moved down on the front shocks (moves the spring down about 1/4" and translates to about a 3/4" drop on the front with stock springs)

you can move the snap ring with snap ring removers and move it to the lower notch (with the springs off of course) and then mount the springs.
do you have a detailed step by step on that one and the rear hose mod?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

The rear hose mod is very simple............un-bolt the bottom of the shocks, raise the rear of the car (not by the axle). This unloads the springs allowing you to yank them out.........the upper rubber spring perch should come out with the spring. You simply replace the rubber perch with about 18" of 5/8" heater hose. don't cut the hose like some people do.........force it over the top coil all the way around untill the entire top coil is covered. Install the spring back into the car.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Launching!

ok cool, and the directions givin by Powered By V8 for the front perch mod, will any shop I go to know how to do that, if I bring them that write up?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Only Koni's have the provision to lower the perch. I'm not sure you are clear on that.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Launching!

No I understand, would it work if I bought just the front ones to do the perch mod and leave the rears stock and just do the rear hose mod? Are these the ones that I can do the perch mod with? http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...2ae5c47623e20b

or does it have to be the more expensive ones, the double adjustable set?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

The double adjustable do not have the lower spring perch........only the single adjustable SA's. And yes it will work however your rear shocks will do an even lousier job at damping than they are doing right now.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Only SA's have the moving perch. DA's do not. And J. Brown is right on. What would you use in the rear for shocks if you just buy Koni fronts? Pretty much anything else will result in a not so pleasant mis-match of damping rates.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Launching!

ughhh, you guys are killing my wallet... is there any way to lower my car 3/4" like those mods because I am under the impression that all springs drop it at least 1 1/2"
Old 05-10-2006, 02:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You are looking at this completely wrong. Ok, Koni's aren't cheap. But have you thought about what a set of 1" lowering springs, appropriate shocks, and the required adjustable PHB will cost? Here's a hint.... as much or more than Koni's.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Launching!

yea but are all those necessary, I mean there are guys that buy just springs... they go without shocks or a PHB. I know they are highly recomended but essential?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Lowering springs have a higher spring rate than stock springs. The stock shocks won't handle the higher spring rate. If you use lowering springs with the stock phb, the rear end will no longer be centered under the car, thats why an adjustable one is needed.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Launching!

ok, I had no idea
Old 05-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Launching!

so what do you guys recomend me to do if I want to lower my car and go the cheapest route? Koni's and the mods or lowering springs with a cheaper set of shocks and a phb?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Pay the money for the Koni's...........do the lower perch mod and rear hose mod. this will lower your car for now. When you can afford springs......buy them. At least you will have shocks that will work well with just about any brand of springs. Buy the right shocks now and be happy with your one time purchase.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Italiano99
so what do you guys recomend me to do if I want to lower my car and go the cheapest route?

Ahh, the cheapest route. Always the start of a great suspension.....

I'm looking at the list of "coming soon's" and it strikes me that all that crap is a lot of money. Yet the suspension is the one part of the car that gets used in the widest ranges of circumstances. It should not kill you on the street, be stable at speed, balanced in corners and if you want, carve corners too. After all if, when I get out of a corner 5 mph quicker than you, you need a lot of engine just to close the gap, let alone pass me. It's why cars that handle win races.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Ahh, the cheapest route. Always the start of a great suspension.....

I'm looking at the list of "coming soon's" and it strikes me that all that crap is a lot of money. Yet the suspension is the one part of the car that gets used in the widest ranges of circumstances. It should not kill you on the street, be stable at speed, balanced in corners and if you want, carve corners too. After all if, when I get out of a corner 5 mph quicker than you, you need a lot of engine just to close the gap, let alone pass me. It's why cars that handle win races.
You are absolutely right and I am not putting down suspension in the least bit. But those mentioned in my list are mainly for bragging rights, looks and sound. I would like to be fast in the 1/4 and to be honest with you, do not plan on road racing and taking a lot of corners at high speeds.

Never the less, you guys convinced me to spend the extra cash because it can help me all around... Ill save up and go with the konis all around and if springs are in the future, Ill pick them up later.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned

Right now I have the koni S/A on the lower perch in front, and the heater hose mod on my car, and I absolutely love it. Here is how the car sits with 285s the scientific description can only be badass:

I truly believe for a daily driver it is the best combination of drop for stock height springs (I have 1le springs).
Old 05-24-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

My advice is to listen to all of us folks who have purchased shocks, springs, and suspension parts multiple times...spending more $$ than we ever intended to. Koni's cost more, but they are also the best value (IMO). A flexible damper that works with whatever springs you want to use in the future.

I have purchased two sets of Bilsteins. The first was from SLP and it was intended to work with their lowering springs. I hated the ride of my car after that install.
I purchased my 2nd set from Sam Strano...they are Bilsteins that are revalved to work with my new Hypercoil springs. I have enjoyed this suspension for a LONG time.
But NOW, I am getting a little older. I'm tired of the relatively aggressive ride, and I'm definitely tired of scraping on speed bumps. So now I want to go back to stock springs with Koni SAs.
The point here is that I have spent $800 on Bilsteins and I am about to spend another $700 on Konis...$1500 total. If I had just bought Konis up front, I could have used them for all three different spring setups and I would only be out $700.
So my advice is to listen to the smart people, like Sam, and let him HELP you decide by calling him on the phone.

Quick Reply: Rear Hose And Front Perch Mod