Register Forgot Password?
Search

Suspension & Brakes
Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Sponsored by
Weld Racing

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 06-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 6
Default Car makes noise when i hit bumps.

Let me start off first by saying i know very little about suspension. Anyways i have an 01 ws6 with stock suspension and almost everytime i hit a bump the right rear area squeaks and its getting very annoying. it sounds like a spring or a shock. The car only has 15,000 miles on it though. so what do yall think?
5.3litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
12 Second Club
1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 6

Could be a LCA bushing. Check the torque on all the bolts; LCA, PHR, shocks. If you have a friend who has gone to aftermarket LCA's, swap his stock ones in to see if the noise persists. www.Stranoparts.com sells replacement bushings too. Also check the swaybar bushings, 15K over 5 years, bushings can go bad. Put the car on jackstands and try and reproduce the sound while your under the rear by having a buddy push down. It could even be exhaust hitting.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.3litre
Let me start off first by saying i know very little about suspension. Anyways i have an 01 ws6 with stock suspension and almost everytime i hit a bump the right rear area squeaks and its getting very annoying. it sounds like a spring or a shock. The car only has 15,000 miles on it though. so what do yall think?
Hi, our cars will make that squeak from the rear springs. You can try lubing the springs but when they dry out, your back to squeaking. Hope this helps, I just live with my squeaks. Later
2000 SS, 383 Stroker All Forged bottom end, Polished Ported LS6 Heads, Vig 3200, Jethots, gutted single cat custom Y-pipe, Dynamax super turbo, 160 stat, MSD plug wires, custom subframe connectors, Edelbrock Strut tower brace, Power Slot w/Hawk HPS pads, trans poly mount, Eibach Sportlines with KYB AGXs, 699 AR Rebels 18/9 18/10s 275/35s with BFG KDW NTs front and 295/35/18's with BFG KDW NTs out back.
ChoiceCam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:16 AM   #4
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoiceCam00
You can try lubing the springs but when they dry out, your back to squeaking.
Marc '99T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:49 AM   #5
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Default Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc '99T/A
In other words, the springs on a stock suspension squeaks.
2000 SS, 383 Stroker All Forged bottom end, Polished Ported LS6 Heads, Vig 3200, Jethots, gutted single cat custom Y-pipe, Dynamax super turbo, 160 stat, MSD plug wires, custom subframe connectors, Edelbrock Strut tower brace, Power Slot w/Hawk HPS pads, trans poly mount, Eibach Sportlines with KYB AGXs, 699 AR Rebels 18/9 18/10s 275/35s with BFG KDW NTs front and 295/35/18's with BFG KDW NTs out back.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #6
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 22

Never had this problem; but exactly how do you go about lubing the springs?
Marc '99T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

I've never heard of lubing the actual springs...

Anyways, I have the same type of noise and I have aftermarket springs. I have the new springs and stock shocks. The noise ONLY comes from the right rear shock. It is really loud when pushing down on the passenger side of the spoiler as well as when a passenger gets into the car.
+2800 stall, Level3 Trans, and exhaust: 12.61@109.8mph
2005 Cyclone Grey Pontiac GTO M6 - SOLD!
2001 NBM Camaro Z28 - 586rwhp / 636rwtq - SOLD!
2006 Suzuki M109R - stock - SOLD!
2001 Honda CBR600 F4i - not stock - SOLD!
JohnnyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #8
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3
Send a message via AIM to STKoRn97

that sounds like when my LCAs went bad the first time, like you said, when you push on the rear of the car near the spoiler, it would squeak. mine turned out to be ready to die, and a few days later it fully broke and the squeak went to metal clanging sound as the bushing got torn apart. just a guess from someone who doesnt know a whole lot about suspensions, haha. just know about this sounding the same. who knows if thats right though..
2000 SS M6 #5279
STKoRn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
TECH Junkie
1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 4

I know of this sqeak you speak of!!!

I had it horribly... well recently i just put some new LCA's on and greased the **** out of the bushings... well to my surprise after i took the car for a spin, no more sqeaks!!!
Soul TKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #10
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Default Squeak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZ28
I've never heard of lubing the actual springs...

Anyways, I have the same type of noise and I have aftermarket springs. I have the new springs and stock shocks. The noise ONLY comes from the right rear shock. It is really loud when pushing down on the passenger side of the spoiler as well as when a passenger gets into the car.
OK everyone, my car still squeaks even with after market Eibach Sportlines. When I first bought my 2000 SS, I drove to a local Chevy dealership here in Las Vegas and that is what they said the squeaks are coming from. They also said it is very inherent with our low humidity, Camaros and Vettes squeak like that. Even with my level 2 warrenty, they couldn't cover the springs squeaks. If you really thing of it, you can only dry lube the top where the spring is set in. Maybe STKoR97 is right on this squeak. Later
Old 06-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #11
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Default squeaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I know of this sqeak you speak of!!!

I had it horribly... well recently i just put some new LCA's on and greased the **** out of the bushings... well to my surprise after i took the car for a spin, no more sqeaks!!!
Hey, I just found out from from my friend in our car club that he used silicon spray to lube all the bushings and no squeaks. That is what I need to do with my 2000 SS. Later
Old 06-04-2006, 12:46 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
bump, bumps, bushings, car, everytime, front, hit, hitting, humidity, low, makes, noise, sqeak, squeak, suspension