Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question for the Spring/Shock Guys.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question for the Spring/Shock Guys.

Ok i have no idea whats going on with this stuff. I have a stock 2000 Z28. I finaly got close to enuff money to upgrade my rims, shocks, and springs all at once. Now i almost have the rims undercontrol. But i dont know what i need for spring and Shocks. Everyone tells me go stiff. But i would like a combo. i want a nice stiff street ride and adjustable Shocks for the track. I realy have no idea. I just dont need a 100% street set up or a 100% track set up. Im going to be on the street way more then im at the track. I was thinking a pro kit with some nice adjustable Shocks. But i dont know. i have some questions for you guys, im all mixed up.

Are there good Shocks that go from stiff to soft, something with only 2 settings? If so were do i get them?
Anyone have a good spring-Shock set up?
Whats the settings mean? 50/50 30/70 70/30?????
Good springs? i hear the pro kit is one of the best.

I looked at the HAL set and that just has way to many settings for me. I only need stiff/soft. I just would like a good mix between track/street. im planning on spending about 700 bucks for the springs and shocks. Hopefully i dont have to spend that much.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would spend 700 on konis and leave the stock springs if thats all you can spend
Old 07-07-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know if konis are top of the line, but i dont need top of the line. I need like mid range. and 700 bucks to me is alot of money. to spend on springs and shocks. And shocks dont last very long. So yea think more mid range. and with the pro kit it allows me like 400 bucks for shocks.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Didn some reading on konis and they are top of the line. but this guy,

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/513475-canyon-carving-street-suspension-setup-review-long.html

makes them sound like they are for handling only. Real stiff shocks.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ben

When u say track Is it Autox or drag. A drag set is alot differant then a handling set up. If u want to go fast at the strip then is will not handle well. strip u need low rate srings and loose shocks. Handling u want high rate springs and shocks.

If you go with higher rate springs u should shocks to match. If you lower your car u need higher rate springs to keep the car off the ground.

Prokit is a lowering spring. U will need higher rate shocks ro control it. If you dont get the right shock u will never be happy with the ride.

Bottom line what do u want to do?
Old 07-07-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

$700 is a lot of money, but shocks (like many things in life) are a "you get what you paid for" item. You can get KYB AGX shocks, which are adjustable, but lots of people who have run them on F-bodies will tell you that they aren't great dampers. You can spend around $500 and get Sam Strano to custom make you some Bilstein shocks for your springs, setup, and needs, but then you have no adjustability. Koni SA's can be very stiff, and they can be soft. That's sort of the beauty of them.

The thing I see/read a lot is "I have <whatever shock and spring combo> and it's fine! You people throwing money away on Koni's when you can spend $700 on go-fast parts are nuts!". "Fine" is a relative term. I had KYB GasAJust shocks with my Hotchkis springs and it was "fine". Then I got tired of feeling like I was driving the SS Minnow, so I upgraded to Koni SA's and the ride is GREAT!

I think it would be well worth your time to call Sam Strano (www.stranoparts.com) and talk to him about what your goals are. Sam is smart, down to earth, and above all, honest. I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted when I called him, and he spent the time to not only confirm WHAT I wanted but WHY I wanted it. He will try to sell you what you need, and let you buy what you think you want, even if he disagrees with you.

-Mike
Old 07-07-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks alot

Quick Reply: Question for the Spring/Shock Guys.