Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bleeding ABS Modulator

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding ABS Modulator

My 94Z28 project (installed LS1) is almost complete. The brake system is from a 1999 Camaro. All lines, master cyl and ABS modulator were empied and installed in the 94.

I filled the system last night with fluid and one by one took out the bleed valves and let gravity run out fluid. The brakes still feel more mushy than I like. Suspect still have some air pockets.

The GM service manual speaks of bleeding the ABS modulator before bleeding the calipers, and again after bleeding the calipers. It also speaks of a bleed valve on the modulator, but I cannot find that valve for the life of me (it's probably right in front of me and would bite me if it had teeth).

Anyone know where this bleed valve is located? Is some special tool needed to access/use it? Possibly a pic to point me to it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Default Re: Bleeding ABS Modulator

I was wondering the same thing too? I have the wilwood kit front and back and the system still have air in it. I think i just might take it and have it done for me.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:24 PM
Teching In

I was wondering the same thing too? I have the wilwood kit front and back and the system still have air in it. I think i just might take it and have it done for me.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:48 PM
wrencher

It's a little 1/4 inch hex bleeder in hydralic control unit.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

I never have seen any bleeder on the abs as posted above, but someone (much smarter than me) figured out that the abs is energized at speeds over 6mph. So, you drive at greater than 6mph and return to your ramps or whatever, don't turn the engine off, and bleed the brakes with your favorite method. You don't want to brake so hard that you trigger the abs, but it will stay energized at over 6mph. Without this method, you need a GM scan tool to energize the abs. This works for me.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:38 PM
Teching In

You really need a gm scanner to activate the solenoids in the ABS unit to get all the air out. Sorry to say but GM has you on this on.

I will be deleting ABs due to this since it is inop due to the 9" and be going to third gen proportionating valve instead.

Quick Reply: Bleeding ABS Modulator