Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering wheel shakes when braking..HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel shakes when braking..HELP

Well when i am driving at speeds above 65 and i start to brake, the steering wheel starts to shake a lot...i have been told that maybe my rotors are warped...any other ideas? i ahve also been told that on the 1998 SS there was a recall on the rotors.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:10 PM
Back in the staging lane

Default Re: Steering wheel shakes when braking..HELP

definately the rotors. I had the same problem as I bet 99% of the people on here have. I had them resurfaced one. That lasted about a week.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

it could also be that you need an alignment. Mine used to shake really bad, i got an alignment and it went away. If you've had a 4wheel alignment recently, that its probly the rotors.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely the rotors. Best to go with an aftermarket set. They near the same price and off more options.

Moving to Handling & Braking section.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

so do you think i should go ahead and get an alignment done and then if it keeps on get a set of new rotors? if i do need new rotors..what kind of aftermarket rotors would you all suggest that are similar to a factory set maybe a lil more expensive...thx
Old 12-10-2002, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

It is definately the rotors. An alignment problem won't cause vibrations on braking only. The only other thing that could cause this would be wheel bearings that are shot (but you'd almost definately have a vibration all the time). Most people confuse the vibration to alignment relationship. A car with the camber severly out could cause a vibration but not just during braking. Toe and caster will not cause a vibration (even if out). Even if you had the vibration all the time I'd suspect tires, u-joints, or trans/rearend bearings before alignment. If you got a dial indicator it is real easy to check. Or just pull them off, take them in and get them turned (should only cost about $15.00 each).
Old 12-11-2002, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

I've had three Camaros...'89, '93 and '99. ALL of them did this. I finally had enough after two rotor grindings with my SS and I bought the Baer Eradispeeds. I'll put this up against any mod I've done as the best for the $$$. I bought them with they were brand new but you can get a set for ~$800. shipped. If this isn't the rotors, I will have truly heard a new one because my buck is on the POS stock rotors.

<small>[ December 11, 2002, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Jabroni ]</small>
Old 12-15-2002, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> if i do need new rotors..what kind of aftermarket rotors would you all suggest that are similar to a factory set maybe a lil more expensive...thx </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you're on a budget get some replacements at autozone or advance. I got a set at advance and they are straight as the day I got them. I've put about 10K miles on the so far. Best $60 I've spent on the car.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

check your wheel hubs/bearing assembly too. Mine were warped and needed replacement also.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey my car does the same thing. Its the rotors, i'm getting eradispeed rotors

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shakes when braking..HELP