Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Break In for EBC Green Stuff Pads w/ New Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break In for EBC Green Stuff Pads w/ New Rotors

As the title states i put on EBC Green stuff pads and New rotors. The EBC pads have the Break in coating on them, and they say to do the following."In Street use situations …
Bedding in when the red EBC surface coating (marked on the pads as Brake In) is applied.
Best procedure is to drive gently avoiding harsh braking unless in an emergency for first 100 miles. In the second 100 miles (up to 200) you can use gently increasing brake pressures when using the brakes.
Only after 200 miles urban driving (not 200 miles on a freeway where brakes are almost unused) should you attempt to apply heavy load and heat to the brakes. To do this final bedding on a QUIET ROAD in safe traffic apply the brakes and slow from 60 to 10 MPH five times in a row. Then drive slowly for a few minutes if safe to do so to allow the brakes to cool. Try to avoid coming to a rest whilst the brakes are heated.
A smell may be noticed from the warm brakes, this is normal. Repeat this procedure a second time after the brakes have TOTALLY cooled down. EBC pads get better with miles. Even after this bed in procedure it can take up to 1500 miles before the pads are at their best. In the meantime the pads will be good and safe but true potential not realised. EBC makes performance pads that last, they do not bed in within 5 minutes driving. Noises will be more likely during the first 1000-1500 miles use whilst this chemical bedding takes place.

However everthing else i read about break in procedures for pads is to do the 60mph to 10 mph stops immediatley after install? Just curious as to what others have done w/ these pads. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

seach around for bedding, and seasoning.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

HAWKS reccommend breaking them in right away with 25-0, 45-0 , and 55-0 stops until you see and smell a little smoke.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hawk pads don't have the coating that EBC pads do.
If you want to fairly evaluate the pad, you might try to follow the manufacturer's reccomendations.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by ultraz
HAWKS reccommend breaking them in right away with 25-0, 45-0 , and 55-0 stops until you see and smell a little smoke.
NO! You do NOT want to do this. You should NEVER completely stop when bedding in new pads. Don't allow the brakes to lock or ABS to engage either. You stop from speed to around 10-15 mph. This will ensure that you do not put an uneven transfer layer of pad friction material on the rotor.

Do not completely stop when bedding new pads!

Ben T.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Studytime
NO! You do NOT want to do this. You should NEVER completely stop when bedding in new pads. Don't allow the brakes to lock or ABS to engage either. You stop from speed to around 10-15 mph. This will ensure that you do not put an uneven transfer layer of pad friction material on the rotor.

Do not completely stop when bedding new pads!

Ben T.
Agreed. I did that procedure when I installed 98-02 Fbody front brakes and Hawk HPS pads on my '00 Grand Prix GTP. Exception being I did NOT come to a complete stop like they suggest. After that I still took it relatively easy on them, but the first time I threw it down hard on the brakes I was truly amazed with the performance of the Hawk pads.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The actual procedure varies.

The purpose is basically 2 fold.

1. Heat cylce the pads a few times in order for them (and the rotors) to "cure". Curing will prolong life, limit dusting and limit fade

2. Scrubbing in the pads under controlled conditions "sands" way the high spots on a brake pads and "beds" the pad surface to the rotor surface. This will give you near 100% effect pad surface area in contact with the rotor

Personally, I don't think the actual PROCEDURE is as important as the PROCESS itself.

Quick Reply: Break In for EBC Green Stuff Pads w/ New Rotors