Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP linelock. whats your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP linelock. whats your opinion?

im thinking of getting it what u guys think about it
Old 09-10-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have it, i do like the other ones better though. They're easier to mount and the brake lines run nicer. I'd go with some of the other brands, i can't think of the names right now though.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SLP kits are not NHRA legal, our kits are. Our kits also use a master arm switch AND control switch for saftey (works how your cruise control operates). We also include a remote moun LED indicator to let you know when the circuit is live.

We've got a variety of designs that we manufacture. They can be located in the braking section of the website. Kits are in stock ready to ship. THe front mount kit is stealthier, the top mount kit is easier to install.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just installed the SLP kit today. The kit itself is pretty nice, very simple. The instructions absolutely suck nuts, in fact is has wrong information in it so I just threw them out. Apparently it's not nhra legal if that's an issue for you.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

so sjm whats the diff. between front and top mounted besides easier installation? thanks
Old 09-10-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the SLP kit and I don't have any complaints. It does it's job for me.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 408Maro
so sjm whats the diff. between front and top mounted besides easier installation? thanks
Both kits are the same when it comes to actual components...the only difference is the routing of the lines and location of the solenoid. If you want a stealthier look, the front mount kit is best.

To clarify, the SLP is not NHRA legal due to the switch used. For the customers using these kits, I'd highly suggest changing the switch setup, it is unsafe creating driving hazards and can damage the solenoid easily.

As indicated, our kits use a master switch to disable the circuit when not in use. A remote mount LED indicator to let you know the circuit is live and ready for arming. The second switch actually controls the function of the solenoid.

Everything is included in our kits. Teflon tape is not necessary, components come pre-assembled, not only do we include the electrical components, it is complete down to including a firewall grommet. Directions are very clear with pictorials...we are hear to answer any concerns as well.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

i have to say my slp one sucks!! ive blown 2 slaves trying to use the damn thing. it wont hold at all. ive been having issues with my abs so im really starting to consider doing the sjm abs delete and line lock.

Steve,
Will the abs light stay on?

Last edited by ninobrn99; 09-12-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:08 PM
FormerVendor

ABS can be a pain in the butt. I see posts all the time on here for guys troubleshooting them or spending extra money on adding ABS on their aftermarket rear-ends. It's much less clutter and quite a bit of weight you can remove when you delete the components.

If you've got an LT1, disabling the lamps is pretty simple...we include directions for this in the kits.

If you're an LS1, then you'll have to go into the dash and pull the bulbs if you want them off. Some just use a piece of black tape as a temporary fix, pulling the bulbs is best. If you've never been in your dash, it's rather simple. It will take ~1hr to get to the bulbs...you just have about 25 little screws to take off. They are all the same size, so it's not like you need to remember which goes where.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

thanks steve. im gonna see what i need to do to fix this and if just shimming the sensors works, then cool, if not, then ill go with your kit as well as the line lock so i can trash my slp one uke:
Old 09-12-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SJM Manufacturing Inc:

Do you have pics of both systems?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-12-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

they have them on their website in his sig
Old 09-13-2006, 06:48 AM
FormerVendor

Our front mount kits are as shown in the picture. The top mount kit, has the solenoid almost right above where the front mount solenoid mounts (circled in yellow).

The customer that installed this picture painted his solenoid black to blend in. ...half of the solenoid is brass, you could polish it to a high-luster and paint the other half, leave it alone in it's natural finish or paint it one color as shown if you want it color matched to the interior. Most leave it alone, but it makes a nice personal touch to match it to the decor of your engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails SLP linelock. whats your opinion?-sjm-2b001blackmodified.jpg  
Old 09-13-2006, 07:13 AM
FormerVendor

A customer just called regarding the ABS delete kit and it's appearance. The ABS delete kit looks almost identical to the picture above. The ABS delete kit obviously removes the WHOLE ABS bracket AND abs modulator. (yellow circled unit). You can also remove all associated bulky wires.

A proportioning valve is added to give the user the ability to correctly bias the front/rear brake pressures in the car. This gives you more control and optimizies brake function.
Attached Thumbnails SLP linelock. whats your opinion?-sjm-2b001blacka.jpg  
Old 09-13-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have an 87 Trans AM with an LS1/T56/Strange 12-bolt. I used all of the brakes from the 99 Z28 that I had as a donar car. Even though it wasnt designed for my car, I ordered the SJM ABS delete kit with line lock. Its a great kit. I was able to use all of the pre-bent, pre-flared lines. I didnt have to go searching for fittings for the master cylinder because they were there.

I will give a huge thumbs up to SJM's customer service too. I needed a different fitting on the willwood valve, and when I called they dropped a fitting in the mail that day. I had it a day later and was on my way. See if SLP will do that for ya!!! Both times I called I talked to Steve. He answered all of my questions and was a nice guy to boot!

I like not having a prop valve and being able to adjust the rear brakes as well. In fact...I just finished my brakes last night. Got them bled and everything is working flawlessly so far. If anyone wants I can post some pics of the SJM kit installed on my car. Not that it will help many because its a 3rd gen. But still...

Justin
Old 09-13-2006, 07:42 AM
FormerVendor

Justin,

Thanks for your response. I'm happy to have served you well. Customer service with some companies over the internet can lack in many cases. Many are not knowledgeable in product depth which doesn't help either. I try to help each customer the best to my ability.

PS, I believe you meant to say you like having a proportioning valve:-).
Old 09-13-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha. yeah that sounded bad. I LIKE having the adjustable Willwood piece. I DONT LIKE having that ugly stock valve that offered no control and just kind of floated under the master taking up space. Your kit allowed me to tuck the lines away and put things right where I wanted them. Even if it wasnt designed for my car, some quick tweaking of those pre-bent lines made them fall right into place. I cant wait to play with that line lock!

Justin
Old 09-13-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

good stuff guys thanks looks like im going with sjm then and i appreciate everyones input and ghettocruiser if u could post pics i would appreciate that as well. also another question is it really easy to install the linelock?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

I have a SLP linelock and getting the sell drilling screws through the fender is a pain in the *** because you need a flex bit or a 90 degree drill to have enough room to clear the other stuff in front of it. The self tapping screws wind up sticking way into the fenderwell too. I need to either cut mine off or replace them with a nut/bolt. You WILL wind up with brake fluid all over before you're done! Mine still leaks a little and the lines are as tight as I can get them. A Mity-vac helps greatly with bleeding the brakes when you're done.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys I have a SLP line lock kit waiting to be installed. I bought it off a freind who never used it in his 2001 Mustang. Now I know that I'm going to need to run different lines because the ones in the kit I have are for a mustang. But it will work in my 200 trans am right? Also, Will the line lock cause problems with my ABS? i'm confused.

Quick Reply: SLP linelock. whats your opinion?