Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sway bar Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sway bar Question

I plan on buying a set of sway bars next week and had a couple questions.

I have a SS, no upgraded suspension level besides what the SS has. I think it's 32mm/19mm bars?

After reading thru people's reviews on their sway bars, sounds like the front sway bar is the one that makes the most difference. I wanted to go with both, so I can have a nice looking set of powdercoated bars.

I was looking at the Hotchkis bar (36.51mm) for the front, but looks like the rear is to big, and possibly a Spohn rear bar (22mm). The Spohn is made from chrome moly, which I know is a light metal, but how is it for a sway bar? Also, do you actually notice any difference from a rear bar (changing from the stock bar)? Or is it just to keep the right balance? Does this sound like a good set-up? I'm tired of the boat feel that the stock suspension has. Springs and shocks are coming in the spring when I have time to put them on, but for know it's just sway bars.

I want to buy a set next week, Thanks for any input.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're lookin for a corner carver give sam stano a call (he's a sponsor here) and ask him about his hollow sway bar set up that he has, i know the front is a 35mm but i dont recall the back, very nice setup, same one that he won national championships with, he definately knows his stuff and can set up the right package for you
Old 11-10-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476

I was looking at the Hotchkis bar (36.51mm) for the front, and possibly a Spohn rear bar (22mm).

Exactly my set up. Enough to surprise some high end cars on the twisties. Then the Procharger takes over on the straights.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

You could do it the way you are thinking, or you could get a set of mine. Why you ask would mine be a better choice? Here's why.

My bars are 35mm front, 22mm rear, both hollow. If you go Hotchkis/Spohn like you are thinking the rear bar is not hollow and is 5 pounds heavier. Also the front bars are quite close on stiffness as my bar has less acute bends and less linear length to deflect.

Next, if you do it the way you are thinking, you will get two shipping costs. Mine ship together, and the lighter weight of the pair saves a few bucks there.

Then there is the price. My set of bars, endlinks, bushings and all are $379.

If you like to spend more money for a heavier setup... then your plan is fine.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-10-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 11-10-2006, 02:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And Chrome-Moly isn't lighter. It only allows less weight in tubular form as it's stronger in tension and compression and allows a thinner wall thickness to be used.
But it's also more brittle, and is the reason CM swaybars aren't hollow (they have to flex). So they aren't any lighter than "regular" 1045 steel bars.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You could do it the way you are thinking, or you could get a set of mine. Why you ask would mine be a better choice? Here's why.

My bars are 35mm front, 22mm rear, both hollow. If you go Hotchkis/Spohn like you are thinking the rear bar is not hollow and is 5 pounds heavier. Also the front bars are quite close on stiffness as my bar has less acute bends and less linear length to deflect.

Next, if you do it the way you are thinking, you will get two shipping costs. Mine ship together, and the lighter weight of the pair saves a few bucks there.

Then there is the price. My set of bars, endlinks, bushings and all are $379.

If you like to spend more money for a heavier setup... then your plan is fine.

Do yours come powdercoated? I thought I read in a post that they weren't, which would run me $80 to powdercoat them.

List price for hotchkis is more, but there on sale right now which would drop the price, (can't say actual price) and put it close to your price (cheaper if yours aren't powdercoated).

I forgot about the Spohn rear bar being solid, how much would a rear bar from you cost? Maybe I'll buy the rear bar from you if they come powdercoated. Yes I know powdercoating is just for looks, but I like my car looking real clean.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

All the newest batch of bars are indeed powdercoated gray. But it wasn't like they were bare before, they were always painted.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476
Do yours come powdercoated? I thought I read in a post that they weren't, which would run me $80 to powdercoat them.

List price for hotchkis is more, but there on sale right now which would drop the price, (can't say actual price) and put it close to your price (cheaper if yours aren't powdercoated).

I forgot about the Spohn rear bar being solid, how much would a rear bar from you cost? Maybe I'll buy the rear bar from you if they come powdercoated. Yes I know powdercoating is just for looks, but I like my car looking real clean.

Stick with your original selection. You will be fine.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Stick with your original selection. You will be fine.
what dose that mean? just because he wants powder coated bars, for his car to look clean, can't say i blame him. can someone pos up spme pics of sam's swaybars and how they look for him?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by 99zman
what dose that mean? just because he wants powder coated bars, for his car to look clean, can't say i blame him. can someone pos up spme pics of sam's swaybars and how they look for him?
That is his original selection. Now you got me confused. I use those bars, therefore I know they come powdercoated.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam- can you get your bars in RED instead of Gray....

Can anyone post up pics of Sam's Sway Bars??
Old 11-13-2006, 10:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

My bars are made in runs, I can't offer individual powdercoating....

FWIW, looks here are an issue, did anyone stop to consider that the bars planned won't match? Black in front, red in back.....

To Recap:

More money for "correct" kinds of bar sizes, but that aren't the same color and are heavier.

Or less money for bars that do match, are also powdercoated, and weigh less.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

As for pics.... they are swaybars. They look like any other swaybar, not much to look at, really. I'd take pics for you but my camera is in England at the moment.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

If performance is any factor in your decision, get the Strano Bars. At least get the Strano front. The suspension techniques or Hotchkis bars weigh a ton. I could use them for doing curls and get jacked, lol. Getting the same performance for a bar that will shave a ton of weight off the front... priceless
Old 11-13-2006, 11:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well in the interest of fairness and honesty..... The Hotchkis bar is also hollow and about the same weight (a little tiny bit more), the ST is much heavier than either by about 14 pounds.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

My bad. I assumed the Hotchkis bar was solid. Yeah that Suspension Techniques bar is pretty damn heavy
Old 11-13-2006, 11:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I understand.... I tend to tell folks what I think whether it benefits me or not and figured I'd save you from being blasted from here to Hell's half-acre.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
M
More money for "correct" kinds of bar sizes, but that aren't the same color .
The Spohn bar can be ordered in black also.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ok, then there is one less thing to worry about.

Quick Reply: Sway bar Question