Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering springs = poor ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering springs = poor ride?

i drove a buddies lowered TA the other day and the ride quality was awfual. i am not sure of the kit he had but wanted to know if this is a comman thing.
i could fell every little bump on the road.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

He probably lowered it and kept the stock shocks. Stock shocks + lowering springs = poor performance and horrid ride
Old 12-15-2006, 01:12 AM
12 Second Club

thats what i was thinking but wasn't sure. is that because the shocks are compressed more because of the springs and have less movement?
Old 12-15-2006, 03:14 AM
10 Second Club

Damping quality... The DeCarbons can barely dampen the stock springs, with lowering springs having higher rates do to their less travel, the stock deCarbons will just make you bounce like a box spring.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:45 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00formLs1
thats what i was thinking but wasn't sure. is that because the shocks are compressed more because of the springs and have less movement?
Pretty much hit the nail on the head...if you give the shocks less room to damp, they'd better be upgraded to handle it...otherwise, you'll end up with a horrid ride.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

I did the Konis with my lowering springs. Ride is about the same, but handling is like 5x better. Don't be swayed by someones mistake.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

A messed up spring can really screw you up, but not as much as using any spring (good or not) with shocks that cannot control them. That's my guess with your friend's car, and it's also likely he used some crap springs too.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00formLs1
i drove a buddies lowered TA the other day and the ride quality was awfual. i am not sure of the kit he had but wanted to know if this is a comman thing.
i could fell every little bump on the road.
I had the same experiences in a couple of lowered cars I rode in. That's why I just cut my stock springs. Still have the same ride quality with the stock shocks. I am planning on new shocks very soon though.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, that was my experience too. Tried several different after market lowering spring sets and they all rode like crap. Then I had my stock springs cut with stock shocks and got the stance I was looking for with a smooth ride too.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Fella's..... note that these two guys are both on their stock shocks. Lowering springs worked not well for them, and when they returned to stock springs (even if cut a little), things got much better (though I'd say far from good knowing the stock shocks' abilities).
Amazing what happens when a shock valving better matches a spring rate. And in this case it's still not a great match.

The point is to those wanting lowering springs, but NOT willing to look at upgrading the shocks. It's a bad idea. Shocks are spring dampers. When the spring damper doesn't jive properly with the spring rate, you won't like the result. And that is the biggest reasons folks don't like the ride of lowering springs. It's not because the springs are "so stiff", it's because the springs and the shocks don't match. A well matched set will actually ride quite well. Firm? Absolutely. Harsh? Not if things are well matched.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!