Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hawk HPS vs HP plus - big difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 09:27 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hawk HPS vs HP plus - big difference?

I have been waiting 3 weeks to get a new set of pads for my car, I ordered HP Plus (thats what the aerospace drag brake kit came with) and they sent me HPS pads.

Is there really that huge of a difference between the two? Its a four piston drag caliper, needs to stop once from 150-0 every 1/2 hour or so. Car wasnt exactly easy to stop at some of the shorter tracks with the HP plus so I dont want to lose too much braking power.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as i understand it, the HP Plus is more for road racing. its made to heat cycle, and will work best with lots of constant heat in it, like a few hundred degrees i think. one heavy stop every 30min or so is too long a time for these pads, they wont get hot enough to work. theyre meant for repeated hard stops. the HPS, High Performance Street, i think are better for a drag car. they dont need so much heat to work properly, and are better in cold/warm conditions. this is my my opinion, im not an expert. check out hawk's website, maybe they'll explain something better.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:00 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading hawks site the HP Plus (for drag racing) gives less initial 'bite' and more friction then the HPS. But sometimes advertising and real world are two different things and I was just wondering if anyone tried them both and seen any difference. My main concern is them grabbing alot harder and locking up a front wheel if i slam down hard at the end. With the pads that were on there it would take a couple seconds for them to warm up and start grabbing hard.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

HP Pluses are a lot more powerful as well as having much harder initial bite. If you have a small brake setup for drag racing, I'd want HP Pluses for sure.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Hawk HPS vs HP plus - big difference?