Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help with suspension goals

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with suspension goals

What would be a better setup for my 80% city car. I love the on and off ramps, but rough roads and snow are a factor. My setup now consists of 1LE front and rear bars, Bilstein HD's with 56k on them, stock 2000 formula springs, 245/50R16 Goodyear GS-D3's, and a stock alignment. The car is starting to feel a bit floaty too me...like it was with the stock DeCarbons which were removed at 30k.

I would like the car lowered a bit, have less sway in the turns, less nosedive in the stops and be well balanced (BMWish).

The setup now is 100% better than stock, but I want it 200% better for handling, while keeping the same harshness, with more body control and sharper turn-in.

So to obtain these goal do I need:

A. Koni SA's on lower perch w/ stock springs and 35mm Strano/21mm 1LE bars.

or B. Koni SA's with Strano Springs, good alignment and 32mm/21mm 1LE bars.

Also, is an adj. PHB required with either setup and do 275-17's really improve handling on F-bodies?
Old 01-20-2007, 02:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greggy
What would be a better setup for my 80% city car. I love the on and off ramps, but rough roads and snow are a factor. My setup now consists of 1LE front and rear bars, Bilstein HD's with 56k on them, stock 2000 formula springs, 245/50R16 Goodyear GS-D3's, and a stock alignment. The car is starting to feel a bit floaty too me...like it was with the stock DeCarbons which were removed at 30k.

I would like the car lowered a bit, have less sway in the turns, less nosedive in the stops and be well balanced (BMWish).

The setup now is 100% better than stock, but I want it 200% better for handling, while keeping the same harshness, with more body control and sharper turn-in.

So to obtain these goal do I need:

A. Koni SA's on lower perch w/ stock springs and 35mm Strano/21mm 1LE bars.

or B. Koni SA's with Strano Springs, good alignment and 32mm/21mm 1LE bars.

Also, is an adj. PHB required with either setup and do 275-17's really improve handling on F-bodies?
Depending on how low you lower your vehicle an adjustable PHR is a good idea...You're better off getting the double rod-ended as opposed to rod/poly or poly/poly, big difference. Some folks say that roadnoise is more noticeable with rod/rod APHR, but I have one and I haven't heard ****.

You can go with the Koni SA's only and your ride will be RIDICULOUSLY different and better!!!

May I make a suggestion?

Okay, 2 suggestions

1.) Talk to Sam Strano, tell him what you want your car to do, he'll steer you in the right direction.

2.) Do NOT skimp on the shocks, they are THE most important upgrade for a kick-*** handling car.

Okay, 3 suggestions.

3.) Once you decide, and if this includes buying new springs as well, do the new shocks/springs at the same time, drive it around for a few months, if you still want more then buy the front/rear swaybars, and THEN check your rear end and see if the axle needs to be moved to the left, then you'll need an adjustable PHR.

My .02
Old 01-20-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

My $.02: U R on the right track.

-Get the Koni SAs-->they R worth the $!
-Get a performance/street alignment (-1.5 camber, +4.5 Caster, 0 toe).
-Get the rod end PHB. Single adjustable is fine. It will make a diff, both in stopping that anoying side step/wiggle over bumps, and center the diff.
I'm running stock springs w Strano Sways--> love the combo!
And some high performance 275/40/17s will help. Since you drive in the snow keep your 245/50/16s for the winter. That way you can get nice big tread blocks in the 275s **not all seasons**(real happy w my Nitto 555s).
Old 01-20-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys,

I'm going to get the koni shocks for sure...I'll talk to sam to see if he thinks his springs are a good match for me. I wanted 17x9 wheels for a long time but was too cheap to drop the $2000 grand it would take for the tires and wheels. I have my 16x8 chrome wheels for summer tires, and a set of painted 16x8 factory take-offs i got for $200 from SLP for the winter. What a deal that was. Tirerack wanted more than that for black steel rims.

subtlez28,
I was looking at you racing pictures... looks like loads of fun. The only thing that bothered me from your pictures was that with stock springs, you can't get rid of the brake drive. Does the gas-on rear end squat and nose dive upset the balance of the car and/or hinder the precision with which you can hit your marks?
Old 01-21-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greggy
I wanted 17x9 wheels for a long time but was too cheap to drop the $2000 grand it would take for the tires and wheels.

subtlez28,
I was looking at you racing pictures... looks like loads of fun. The only thing that bothered me from your pictures was that with stock springs, you can't get rid of the brake drive. Does the gas-on rear end squat and nose dive upset the balance of the car and/or hinder the precision with which you can hit your marks
Just 4 info, I got my 17x9s and Nittos for under $1200 from discount tire direct. They have free mount, balance and ship. Similar deals are on the web, if you do not find rims you like at DTD.

And as 4 the stock springs...excellent observations. I actually have no issues w the rear springs. You are right, there is alot of brake dive in front. I am able to do fairly well, but I do think stiffer fronts would help my lap times. I do have to modify my driving style to account for the transitions. The reason I haven't went to higher rate fronts is I do not want to give up ride quality. I purchased my Z28 near Houston TX. I flew down w the wife and drove around 2000 miles back to WI, it was fun. I promised her I would not ruin the ride of the car. I had an 04 Silverado prior that I lowered and upgraded the suspension on. It handled WAY better (than stock) and I thaught it rode ok, but my wife said it was way to harsh. So we had to take her car anytime we went some where (boring!). I have been considering Strano springs though. I'd like a ride in a similarly equipt car w Strano Springs and Konis. If the Konis can tame them and keep ride quality...they will likely b in my future. That said I realy am not disatisfied w the stockers.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Teching In

A fairly obvious solution would be adjustable kyb's or koni's.. You can stiffen em up for the track, and soften em up for the wifey..

Quick Reply: Help with suspension goals