Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

mounting line lock switch?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mounting line lock switch?????

I'm not sure where to mount my line lock switch. So, I was wondering where everyone else mounted theirs? I was thinking the panel below the steering wheel but I am afraid it might be in the way and I might flip the switch by accident while driving. What happens if i were to flip the switch while not pressing the brake pedal? Will the front brakes not engage? Thanks in advance for everyones help.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have our setup, then accidental deployment would be difficult since ours is setup with a safety switch and LED indicator to let you know the circuit is active.

If you have another brand that "looks" like ours, the circuit is setup completely different. With their setup, you can activate it unknowingly. Your brakes WILL lock up the next time you step on the brake pedal (and you probably won't know what is going on...hopefully you’re not driving fast if this occurs)...

if this is the case...hide the switch well so you don't accidentally activate it. Also, consider revising the circuit as it it not safe, nor track legal.

We do have some sample installs listed in our direction sheets.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

What type of line lock set up is considered track legal?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rancor352
What type of line lock set up is considered track legal?
SJMs linelocks.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:55 PM
FormerVendor

It's only activation should not be controlled by an on/off toggle switch which is not momentary.

It should also not be activated/deactivated via ground-lift

Both are very unsafe. If the circuit grounded, switch shorted etc...obviously it would be activated with no way to turn it off. Worse part is if there is no feedback circuit, you wouldn't even know it was turned on.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Here's how I did mine. I too was worried about accedentally applying the line lock (I think I went a little over board). The switch to the right is for my Lc-1 so forget about that one. The switch to the left is a safety switch. It must be activated first. A amber LED (center)will illuminate. Then I have the master switch in the ashtray (not shown). Once activated the amber LED with go out and a flasing red LED (left) will illuminate. I used 2 relays in this circut. If the safety switch isn't activated then no power is supplied to the master switch. You could probably get away with using one switch in the ashtray (you have to lift the ashtray lid to get to the switch). Like I said I think I went a little overboard.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Hurst Sidewinder switch

Originally Posted by 1320 killer
I'm not sure where to mount my line lock switch. So, I was wondering where everyone else mounted theirs? I was thinking the panel below the steering wheel but I am afraid it might be in the way and I might flip the switch by accident while driving. What happens if i were to flip the switch while not pressing the brake pedal? Will the front brakes not engage? Thanks in advance for everyones help.
If you've removed your ABS (as I have), use the power that runs to the ABS control module and run it to a Hurst Sidewinder shifter mounted switch. It works great.

The kit listed in this thread is the one I purchased - it works nicely; just make sure all the connections to the line lock solenoid are tight before you attach / connect the brake lines. I learned that one the hard way...

MIKE
Old 01-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Man-Crush Warning

put the switch in the ash tray, thats what I did, works just fine.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with the Hurst linelock. It has the saftey built in. While driving you can press the button all you want. Pressing the button locks the brake pressure where it is. So if you are driving and not pressing the brakes, it locks the brakes where they are (which is not in use, so nothing happens) makes sense. Very smart, I love it.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

So it locks them open so when you need to hit the brakes you have none?!?! Sounds real smart to me! There should be a master on off and then a momentary to activate it. I'm going to redo my SLP one when I redo the leaking lower line.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

The hurst one will not by pass the fluid it locks the fluid in the line when you want the brakes to hold. It is always open, when you press the brakes you have to apply the switch and it hold it, this keeps the fluid to the brakes when you let go of the switch it lets the brakes go. So there is no room for error. i went with the kit from thunder racing that has the hurst line lock along with custom install wiring and prebent lines.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Is it a momentary or toggle switch? It doesn't sound any different than the SLP one in how it functions.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:42 PM
FormerVendor

In all fairness, the solenoid (which what holds pressure) are relatively the same, whether you choose a biondo, moroso, hurst , these are all rebuildable, they all hold similar line pressure.

...it is the wiring circuitry that each manufacture designs with their kit that sets them apart. All our kits do have a master control switch as well as an activation switch AND a remote mount LED indicator to let you know when the circuit is live.

Think of our circuit as your cruise control operates. You can only use your CC when you set the master switch on...once armed; you control your CC when you want by the press of a button.

How can you tell if your circuit is live with our kit, the LED illuminates when you turn the master switch in the on position. With this function, you can have any switches hidden wherever you wish...You'll ALWAYS know if the circuit is live by visual verification of the small bright LED indicator.

This is all a bit off-topic to the original poster, but is good reading material for others.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Talking

I just ordered my sjm line lock kit today. i plan on mounting my switch in my ash tray. i will repost again once installed to let u all know how it went.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I ran the momentary snap action cord with my Hurst. So I can hold it in my hand at the staging lane and just drop it on the green light!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Mine is mounted in the ash tray in the console:

I have the SLP linelock, I like it cause I don't ever use the tray anyway, it's out of the way. Impossible for me to hit it on accident.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Don't say impossible. My Fiancee got bored and started flipping the lid on the console. I had to yell at her to stop before she managed to flip the switch while playing with it!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Well when i'm driving my arm rests over that ash tray anyway. Plus I think I make it pretty clear to my dates that you don't play with my car.... unless you're in a bikini.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GETGONE
Don't say impossible. My Fiancee got bored and started flipping the lid on the console. I had to yell at her to stop before she managed to flip the switch while playing with it!
I agree with you.

Another scenerio would be a buddy in the car, wondering what the button does while your pumping gas.

How about when your cleaning the car and you hit the switch by accident. You never know you've activated the switch!

...worst part is these things being wired by some companies are actually doing so via ground lift . Never ever (did I say never) use a ground as your switching source!! If your feeding wire ever shorts on the body...no sense in having a fuse, it would never blow, you'd only switch the circuit on!!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Just ordered a SJM LineLock also I plan on putting the switches in the center console.

Quick Reply: mounting line lock switch?????