Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Post-LCA install issue

Old 01-27-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Post-LCA install issue

Just got my UMI adjustable LCAs and relocation brackets on. Problem - the passenger side wheel sits about 1/2" farther back in the wheelwell, about 3/4" from the rear bumper piece. On the driver's side, there's about 1" between the wheel and the same spot on the bumper. Both LCAs were adjusted to within 1 or 2 threads of each other, and both were installed on the lowest hole of the relocation brackets. Do I need to jack the car back up, drop the axle end of the passenger LCA, and shorten it up more? Seems like there's another issue at play, because if both the LCAs are the same length, the wheel should sit in the same place in the wheelwell...
Old 01-27-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Went out and did some measuring, and both LCAs are damn near the exact same length. I can't figure this out.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any ideas? Anyone?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow..that sounds wierd... bump for ya.. hope someone can help ya figure it out!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Teching In

equal length lca's + frame damage = diff meas.

Are you the original owner? Somehow someone might have tweaked the car and now ... =/
Old 01-27-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by logikal6785
equal length lca's + frame damage = diff meas.

Are you the original owner? Somehow someone might have tweaked the car and now ... =/
No, second owner, but the first owner kept the paperwork down to where he had the wiper blades changed at. No frame damage, tweaks, nothing to the car.

Everything was lined up with stock parts. I don't see why it's not with this stuff.

Going to pull the passenger LCA off tomorrow and stick the stock LCA up there, and see what I see. If the axle is pushed farther back, I honestly have no idea how to get it back to the stock location.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

maybe bent stock lca's?

tony
Old 01-28-2007, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of these vehicles come factory with tolerances like you are seeing. The rear ends are never centered, front to back or side to side. Since you have adjustable lower control arms take advantage of them and adjust them until it is centered and correct the problem. If you lengthen the arm it will push the rear end back and if you shorten the arm the rear will go foward.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 01-28-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Most of these vehicles come factory with tolerances like you are seeing. The rear ends are never centered, front to back or side to side. Since you have adjustable lower control arms take advantage of them and adjust them until it is centered and correct the problem. If you lengthen the arm it will push the rear end back and if you shorten the arm the rear will go foward.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Thanks. I went out, pulled the wheels off, and measured from the hub to the back of the door (so I wouldn't be pulling a measurement off the rear bumper, which could be different on each side, since it's soft plastic) and got both sides to within 1/8" of each other. The passenger side still looks like it sits back a bit further, but measuring tells me that it's simply because the bottom part of the bumper in the wheelwell (the flexible plastic piece) is bent a bit differently on the passenger side vs the driver's side. I figured 1/8" of difference was within tolerance for the u-joint to handle.

Once I got everything bolted up (SFCs too), took her out for a spin and DAMN. Hard to describe how it feels different in corners, but it just feels like instead of a floorpan made of cardboard, it's actually made of steel now. Significant reduction of torsional chassis flex in the corners. The LCAs and brackets definitely give the rear some more bite, too. Ride is a bit more stiff, but the suspension can crack my vertebrae going over cracks and bumps, as long as it does what it's supposed to
Old 01-28-2007, 11:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent to hear and the way you took the measurement is perfect, I should have mentioned that as well, we never use the bumper because of that reason. The 1/8" you are seeing is great as well, you won't get it much closer then that.

Glad you like everything

Ryan
Old 01-28-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take it to a shop that can do 4 wheel alignments and have them do the tweeking. it will be money well spent.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Banned

get some adjustable lower control arms, thats what theyre made for.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by sobaka79
get some adjustable lower control arms, thats what theyre made for.
You didnt even read anything did you?
He has adjustable lower control arms.

Also, just because your wheels are centered (or not) doesnt mean that they are centered with the running gear. The only way to do that is with a 4-wheel alignment.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....00&postcount=5
Old 02-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Banned

nope busted, chalk it up to the 50 posts thing
Old 02-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Are you just artificially pumping up your post count to be able to post in the "For Sale " section?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Post-LCA install issue