Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: street driving w/out front sway bar?
yes I do it-not that dangerous
57.65%
no-I like corner carving-it's too dangerous
42.35%
Voters: 451. You may not vote on this poll

street driving w/out front swaybar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

along with Sam come his disciples...lol
Old 03-26-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by eLTwerker
along with Sam come his disciples...lol
...and alot of nice handling f-bods.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be willing to bet that the car would still out handle many vehicles out there even if you take it off.
If you like racing strait it helps the front come up easier.
It is more difficult to pull the wheels with it on. Kinda like travel limiters do to make the car lift less in the front when you are having problems keeping the front down when its going up too far.
If you like taking curves and don't care for strait line racing you would want to keep it and have no reason to remove it.

IMO if you are taking curves at the speed limit you won't really notice.
You could always remove it and try driving it around in an open area and see whether it is comfortable or not by taking some hard turns.

when I removed mine it still handled much better than my silverado and when I drive my silverado and don't run it off the road.

IMO the majority of racing takes place in a strait line.
If you like to take curves hard its no question keep it on or even get a bigger one.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd take that bet. A bar is a HUGE part of the handling of these cars, and I've driven them without, it's not pretty and most anything will be more stable and quicker through corners (a lot of things are with a Camaro bone-stock, which is why we work on them).

It's not smart. It's not safe, but hey.... it's your life. Hope you don't hurt someone else.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

I've been on 4 trips from California to Oklahoma and back the other way. Snow, rain, sleet, and luckily no hail. I did it without a front sway bar and even had to maneuver around some real obstacles along the way. Be it crap that fell off a truck, animals, or potholes. I'm not saying that this is for the novice average joe but it can be done and done safely. My first vehicle was a 71 Chevy truck and it had slack in the manual steering, no front sway bar, and a 3 on the tree (3speed manual column shift for those of you that have never seen or heard of it) and I lived on miles of dirt and gravel roads. Everyone should learn to drive that way.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Fine... do what you want. After all, just because you've been lucky it's fine for everyone. And don't you know that GM puts on a front bar for fun? It's useless. Please stop. Better for people to assume ignorance than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:00 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Fine... do what you want. After all, just because you've been lucky it's fine for everyone. And don't you know that GM puts on a front bar for fun? It's useless. Please stop. Better for people to assume ignorance than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
And don't you know GM also put on shocks and springs and STOCK sway bars from the factory. Then you have to come along and screw it up by putting on your stuff, i mean jeeezzz....(J/k i really do like your components, just making a point) Come on, let's not play the hoo--raaahhh game about what's "safe" on the street and what's not. It's all in driving style. I can honestly tell you when i pulled my front bar, i felt little/no difference in street driving. Then again, I am not a corner-carving, ***-houling kinda-guy. If/When my car is on the street, it's speed limit only, and take it easy around corners.

As for the ridiculously rude and derrogitory comments at the end of your post....way to represent yourself!!!

Should i talk crap about my road-race buddies that have busted their uber-cool road-race heim joints thinking that they are safe to cruise around with on the street? No, cause it's to each their own.

Then again, I'm SURE no road race guy has EVER driven a car with heim-joints on the street....cause that'd be dangerous....

Oh well, back to

You are welcome to make some rude comment about my post now!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And why do you take the fronts off for drag racing? For weight transfer, just what you DON'T want to have excessive amount of for stability's sake.

Maybe my comment was rude. So be it. Frankly I'm sick and tired of all the half-assed, uninformed opinions that ooze out of the workwork on forums. You have excuse not to unhook or remove the bar at the track (or even before you leave for the track) except for laziness. If you guys want to run around unengineering your cars, that's up to you. And you can say how the stock shocks are poor and all, and I'll agree with you. You seem to think because GM isn't perfect, that anything is better... you are wrong.

And just how are heim-joints or rod-ends dangerous on the street? Are they rendering something useless like removing your front bar? No, they are just noisy, but there is nothing unsafe about them.

It might be a difference in style. But if you pulled your bar and noticed no difference than you must drive like an 80 year old, which is not the general MO of persons owning these cars. And, what's more....you didn't make that qualification until I pushed some buttons. And reference points are important when you claim something. Some ability to stand behind the opinion.

Bottom line, pull your bars to drag race, I don't really care. You are just going straight (hopefully). But there is NO REASON to drive around without one unless you stupid, or lazy.

Stop proclaiming "safety" when it's clearly not important to you. Recommend that people "can" drive on the street, but stick this no difference crap back in the toilet.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

I also pulled mine permanently.

I noticed little to no difference with street driving (hell, sometimes I drive 5 under the speed limit in the TA depending on the area. And why would a street be a safe place to corner hard? I corner gently, usually around the suggested corner speeds, maybe 5mph over depending on the road)
Old 03-29-2007, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Your a bit of a Dick........OH I see now, your from the New England area. It's ok man that stick can be removed, but it will require surgury.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Launching!

if you don't care about yourself or anyone else on the road, take it off...
Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said it still handled better than my silverado. So if I care about myself or others I guess I better not drive my truck?

Maybe we should not drive our Fbodys because because there are other cars that handle much better than them like cars with IRS.

Sam you sound like an 80 year old man saying not to mod your car.
Is lowering your car safer than stock hieght? Is there a reason they put them at the height they are at? Does any part you sell comprimise saftey in any way at all?
Have you ever tried driving without it? Why would you have tried it? Don't you roadrace?

If you drag race and are in doubt. Take it off and try it, see for yourself, you will know then whether its for you or not
Old 03-30-2007, 02:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brandonppr
Like I said it still handled better than my silverado. So if I care about myself or others I guess I better not drive my truck?

Maybe we should not drive our Fbodys because because there are other cars that handle much better than them like cars with IRS.

Sam you sound like an 80 year old man saying not to mod your car.
Is lowering your car safer than stock hieght? Is there a reason they put them at the height they are at? Does any part you sell comprimise saftey in any way at all?
Have you ever tried driving without it? Why would you have tried it? Don't you roadrace?

If you drag race and are in doubt. Take it off and try it, see for yourself, you will know then whether its for you or not

Have you ever pushed it to the limit or did an emergency lane change with the swaybar off? I guess your saying it didn't change the ballance of the car at all either. Theres alot more to handling than just how it feels driving like a grandma everywhere....
Old 03-30-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by speedyhawk101
Your a bit of a Dick........OH I see now, your from the New England area.
Actually he doesn't qualify as a Masshole like I do. He's from the lowly Pennsylvania area
Old 03-30-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Have you ever pushed it to the limit or did an emergency lane change with the swaybar off? I guess your saying it didn't change the ballance of the car at all either. Theres alot more to handling than just how it feels driving like a grandma everywhere....
I did test it hard. I would not make a mod to the car without testing it in an empty area where it is safe so that I would know how what to do in an emergency. If you change your driving style to fit the car you should be fine. In the same way I can't drive my silverado in the same way I drive my CTS but if I am aware of that there should not be a problem.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Sam Strano
Owner--Strano Performance Parts
WE SELL UMI Products, ask us!

Why isn't Sam Strano listed as a Vendor?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DMark
Sam Strano
Owner--Strano Performance Parts
WE SELL UMI Products, ask us!

Why isn't Sam Strano listed as a Vendor?
It's on the vendor banner strip on the right side of the front page
Old 03-30-2007, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

Look MR. STRANO. I enjoy road racing also. I was even considering buying your sway bar set-up. I'm not ill informed, I don't de-engineer, and I certainly don't appreciate being talked down to for sharing my experience and advice to someone that asked a simple question. I do respect the fact that you know all there is to know about handling. I don't respect the fact that you want to come on here and insult the very people that may want to do business with you.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28bryan
It's on the vendor banner strip on the right side of the front page
Hmmmm...., then I wonder why it doesn't say "vendor" under his user name when he post.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I scan ahead and use proper spacing. Also, I don't drive on the street like an *******. There are no emergency lane changes using these techniques, haha

Quick Reply: street driving w/out front swaybar?