Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ball Joint or Tie Rod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joint or Tie Rod?

I cant figure out whether or not i need a new tie rod end or ball joint...or both

When i jack up the car....the wheel moves slighty left to right but not up and down....when i look under it seems the tie rod end (which i guess goes in the ball joint??) moves around and doesnt look greased anymore. SHould i replace the lower ball joint and tie rod end.....or just one of the two?

thanks for the help
Old 04-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check out this recent thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/693624-knocking-noise-drivers-frt-wheel.html
Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the wheel up in the air, if you can move it side to side (hands at 3 and 9) then it's a tie-rod. If you put a 2' x 4' under the wheel and pry up on the wheel and it moves, then its a ball joint. With hands at 6 and 12, if the wheels moves that's a wheel bearing, although sometimes like that you're able to tell if it's a ball joint.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476
With the wheel up in the air, if you can move it side to side (hands at 3 and 9) then it's a tie-rod. If you put a 2' x 4' under the wheel and pry up on the wheel and it moves, then its a ball joint. With hands at 6 and 12, if the wheels moves that's a wheel bearing, although sometimes like that you're able to tell if it's a ball joint.

This really helped alot......thanks guys........its definatly the tie rod end then because it moves side to side with hands at 3 and 9

can i just get the tie rod end or do i need the whole arm...(im thinkin just end) they seem to be pretty cheap so im going to do it myself

then i guess i need an alignment right ?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normally it's just the tie rod end. If you use an OEM one you can count the number of turns until it comes off, then screw the new one on the same number of turns. This should help keep your alignment close to spec (sometimes it stays were it was even).. If you use a different brand they may be slighty different sizes so it may change the toe a little more (nothing an alignment can't fix). It would be a good idea to check the alignment either way.

Quick Reply: Ball Joint or Tie Rod?