Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hotchkis vs. Strano springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hotchkis vs. Strano springs

Yes, I've searched and searched and I know questions like this have been asked a million times...

Here's my set-up:
Koni DA's
1LE LCA's
Rod ended APHR
UMI 3 points subframe connectors (soon)

It's mostly a street car, but I'm trying to build a very well rounded but comfortable car. It'll see a little mix of each, from 1/4 to RR to AX. I want something that will be comfortable, like a refined european feel and don't want to ruin the car.

I'd like to lower it about 1.25" which it seems both the Hotchkis (advertise 1", but seem to drop a tad more) and Strano (1.2") can both accomplish.
As **** as it may seem, and I'm VERY **** with the car, I'm really not a huge fan of the Strano's coming in white. The Hotchkis gray will go perfect with the black & anthracite/gun metal gray scheme I'll have going.

I know with the Hotchkis being a progressive rate it isn't 110% favored, but again...the car won't be geared mainly toward one thing nor will it be a hardcore RR or AX car.

With that being said, what would be my best bet between the two springs?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Both are great but one thing to factor in Sam is always here to help us, and you can re powdercoat the springs if the biggest reason is paint color on them.

Sam's helped me many times and great to deal with. In this case you can't go wrong but who you want to help support is the breaking factor more so.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam is the man. If I was to do mine over again that's who I would go with.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Have you seen a picture of one car that you could tell the springs are white? I haven't, and if you can't see them what's the difference?

And handling is handling, regardless of it being on an autox course or an off-ramp. The car doesn't know it's running around cones or being railed around any other "normal" corner, does it?

I sell both, so whichever you pick I've got you covered. But if I thought Hotchkis were the cat's ***, I'd not have built mine. FWIW.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like your priority is looks. The Hotchkis springs are decent. They are far from Eibach sportlines. I guess this one is up to you. Other people would have to chime in who own those springs to tell you what the ride quality is.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

True, you won't be able to see the springs anyway unless you remove your wheels or look underneath the car.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A good customer on mine, Jeff Spector--who may or maynot be on this forum changed his springs from Hotchkis to mine (for handling use) and reported that not only does the car roll less but that in his opinion it rode better too.

We didn't get into great detail about just what he meant. He was happy with the change on two fronts (one was the idea, one was a bonus). Only something to consider since he had the Hotchkis before.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I may just stick with Sam's springs which were my first choice all along. I'd also much rather support someone who is one here helping everyone out.

The color thing wasn't a huge concern...lol
I could always get them powdercoated whichever way I want.

I was asking this question more on a ride standpoint and just wanted to try and get the best opinion from people who have had Hotchkis and/or Strano. I'm just trying to hear about the characteristics of each the best I can.

Sam noted a good customer of his actually found his springs to be have a better ride vs Hotchkis besides handling better, then that's pretty damn good.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And as much as I appreciate that, I can put you on Hotchkis too if that's what you decide..... You'd still get the advice, support and all.

But I do think I did a better job (of course who doesn't). But I had the benefit of knowing what I wanted and wanted different. Which is why they are lighter, linear, etc. I don't think the Hotchkis are a terrible choice...

Old 04-19-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And as much as I appreciate that, I can put you on Hotchkis too if that's what you decide..... You'd still get the advice, support and all.

But I do think I did a better job (of course who doesn't). But I had the benefit of knowing what I wanted and wanted different. Which is why they are lighter, linear, etc. I don't think the Hotchkis are a terrible choice...
Cool deal, thanks man

You mention you sell Hotchkis to some as well sometimes, out of curiousity...
Let's they were on the same set-up (Koni DA's, 1LE LCA's, etc.), what has been your reason/their goals for setting them up with Hotchkis vs. your springs?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam its prob been mentioned b4 but whats the diff in the spring rates from the hotchkis to your springs?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Mine are 550 front, 150 working in the rear (100 pound winding at the top that is out of play with the car on the ground).

Hotchkis are 285-525, 100-140 rear. Hard to know just where the rates ever are, such is the nature of how they are wound.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Interesting thanks for the info looks like the rates are similar if the hotchkis wasnt linear.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hotchkis aren't linear.... and the saying the rates are similar, but is like saying a C5 is pretty much a Z06 but for the lack of more power, less weight, not as good suspension tuning.

The point here is simple. You can't know what spring rate a spring wound like a Hotchkis is unless it's fully extended (not possible even when the car is off the ground on the front) or fully compressed. And I tend to like to know what my rates are doing if possible.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Hotchkis aren't linear.... and the saying the rates are similar, but is like saying a C5 is pretty much a Z06 but for the lack of more power, less weight, not as good suspension tuning.

The point here is simple. You can't know what spring rate a spring wound like a Hotchkis is unless it's fully extended (not possible even when the car is off the ground on the front) or fully compressed. And I tend to like to know what my rates are doing if possible.
Sry i meant progressive.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

I know the springs worked really well in the rainy conditions at the evo school last week I was putting up some of the best times with 400 rwhp in the sleet under 30 degree weather with 315 nitto 555r wheels all around, and standard subpar stock T2 diff. I didn't spin at all, and felt very confident in my ability to control the car for the length of the day
Old 04-19-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the hotchkis springs but i bought them before Sam's springs came out. The ride is a little rough but not bad. I definetly wouldnt call it "a refined european feel" though. I think after i get strano bars, i might switch to his springs too.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will probably end up running strano springs because they are lighter.
Weight Junky for the win

Quick Reply: Hotchkis vs. Strano springs