Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

need help with car shaking, rear wheel side to side play both wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help with car shaking, rear wheel side to side play both wheels...

need help with car shaking, rear wheel side to side play both wheels...any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe wheel bearings, but maybe it's not...
Old 05-11-2007, 05:42 PM

Did you figure this out or get any advice yet?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

nope, gonna try again saturday. Last weekend the rotors were seized on and had to find out for sure how they come off with the lug nuts before I try to whack it really hard. Maybe I just never noticed it's normal to get a little side/side play (axial play) in the rear wheels? Somebody tell me for sure? Either way I am getting a shake under braking, so probably need rotors too, anybody know how to find out which rotor(s) is warped? Hmm I guess I need to bring them to someone with a brake lathe...any of the parts stores have them any more?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

i have the same problem as you.. it squeeks when i combine brake while turning to the right.. then a little as i get going.. im pretty sure its the bearings.. however F them because im just going to get a new rear.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine isn't around corners, it's braking. They don't seem to have play like a wobble, it's more like the c-clips got thinner, or the pin or paddle in the rear got smaller so the axle can go in and out a three hairs, on both sides, enough that I can make it rattle easy with the car on the ground. But maybe it is the axle bearings.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

when I jack it up, I can pull the entire hub straight towards me a few hairs is what I meant. not much wobble feel if at all.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the reply and keep us up to date if you figure it out. My '01 convertible has many similar issues, but I've only had it a year and haven't done anything significant to it yet. I plan to start with shocks when I can find time to get under it again.
If you have any noticeable movement in the hub, I'd check the bearings. Actually, I think I will check mine also.
You mentioned shaking? At what speeds? I thought I had tires out of balance, but that didn't fix it for me. Mine shakes between 45 and 55 just enough to be annoying. I spend most of my commute > 65, so I've put it off too long.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the dif cover off right now, and it's not looking exactly what I expected. There is a screw much smaller than I expected, looks like if I take out that whimpy looking screw, a flat piece maybe 1/4x1.0 in place of a 3/4"~ pin like my dakota has. I just don't want to do the wrong thing. Oh btw the pic in the haynes manual is terrible, barely see it, and I think maybe showing only the non lsd, unless mine has an aftermarket lsd I didn't know about. Anybody verify I need to take that screw out like that?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm very looking forward to having new rear bearings! Really trying not to break something else bigger too though.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh that must be what they call the paddle. Ok, got one side out. Question now is, what is the best way to press that bearing in there? Is there a press, or just try to pound it in straight with a piece of pipe? Wish I knew of a screw press for that....
Old 05-13-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, I'm just talking to myself here, but j/k, updating the thread...all finished now, the car drives much smoother. Still mild shaking under braking, so maybe still need rotors, but all in all, much better and more acceptible.

Quick Reply: need help with car shaking, rear wheel side to side play both wheels...