Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Should Rear Spring Perches Be Parallel to the Ground?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should Rear Spring Perches Be Parallel to the Ground?

and if they are, can I fix one if it is not parallel?

A few years ago, my brother crashed the left side of my car into a curb sideways.

After I got it back from the body shop, the left side is slightly lower than the right, kinda the opposite of the 'infamous f-body passenger side lean'.

I got under the car and it seems like the drivers side perch is angled slightly down while the passengers side perch is parallel to the ground.

Is there any negative to having a slightly angled perch? Like the spring slipping off?

If there is no danger, can I do the hose mod on the passengers side to level it out, or possibly weld a wedge onto the perch to bring it up a tiny bit?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

To The Top^
Old 05-23-2007, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

ttt for ya
Old 05-24-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I may have to post this over on FRRAX.com to see if maybe they can help.

I have a feeling it takes a 30 ton press to push the axle tubes into the diff housing, so taking the ube off and 're-aligning' it is probably out of the question especially if the rear has to come out...
Old 05-25-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt again
Old 05-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
and if they are, can I fix one if it is not parallel?

A few years ago, my brother crashed the left side of my car into a curb sideways.

After I got it back from the body shop, the left side is slightly lower than the right, kinda the opposite of the 'infamous f-body passenger side lean'.

I got under the car and it seems like the drivers side perch is angled slightly down while the passengers side perch is parallel to the ground.

Is there any negative to having a slightly angled perch? Like the spring slipping off?

If there is no danger, can I do the hose mod on the passengers side to level it out, or possibly weld a wedge onto the perch to bring it up a tiny bit?
I think it's more important that your left & right perch are even rather than being exactly parallel to the ground. As the suspension moves through it's travel range, they'll change slightly in relation to the ground... the same amount as your pinion angle changes, and I think that amount is negligible.

How far off are the perches? And much lean does the car actually have? I can't imagine the perch that is "angled slightly down" will make a huge difference in the ride height on one side.

More Q's: Did the body shop have the rear axle out of the car to work on it? Does the perch look like it was repaired/welded by the body shop?

I think doing the hose-mod on one side might bring it down too much, or is that far off? The installed height of the spring will remain the same, so I don't see how it could affect your handling adversely if you level-out your car using this method.

Have you tried reorienting the rear springs? Another thing I just thought of is that the isolator is not oriented properly on top of the spring. The tail-end of the spring should sit all the way in the isloator, and maybe the body shop didn't put them back in correctly?
Old 05-25-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have already had the rear springs out for a Koni install recently and that is when I noticed the one perch was angled more towards the ground than the other. I think it is an explanation for why my car is crooked. I would say the Drivers side is about 1/2-3/4" lower than passenger side.

I was not there for the whole(and very long and drawn out) repair process, but it does have a Unitrax metal tag on it, so I would assume it was out of the car and sent to the other shop...
Old 05-29-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Up to the top for some more expert opinions
Old 05-29-2007, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to make sure the springs are both indexed the same way? The end of the bottom coil should be facing the same way on both springs. Can affect ride height from side to side with stock springs.