Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What damage have the Eibach Sportlines done to my car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What damage have the Eibach Sportlines done to my car?

What damage should I look for from having an extremely low ride that the Sportlines have provided? Some stuff I can already gather is

- Exhaust coming loose from headers from bottoming out
- Front tires now lean INWARD
- Front tires have hit the fender walls and cracked them
- Flattened one of the pipes on my longtubes from bottoming out
- Caused uneven tire wear

What other damage should I look for? Suspension? I'd like to have everything fixed together as soon as I get the new springs on this week.

Why do the Sportlines exist? Why did I buy them?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kaos_
Why do the Sportlines exist?
I always ask myself the same question. Who was the bright one who came up with an idea to make springs lower than their other prokit with an even lower springrate?
Old 06-04-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that sux those springs do sound like complete ****.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

so what damage have you other guys with sportlines experienced
Old 06-04-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

ummm i just put mine on..... im scared but i only have on rears and it sounds like all your problems are front end problems... i dont remember which kit i have but i know its not the lowest eibach its only 1.3 i think
Old 06-04-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

What damage should I look for from having an extremely low ride that the Sportlines have provided? Some stuff I can already gather is

What other damage should I look for? Suspension? I'd like to have everything fixed together as soon as I get the new springs on this week.

A lot of those problems could have been avoided by getting an alignment, which you should do ANY time you lower the front end.

-Mike
Old 06-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Ha ha i running 265/35/18 with sport lines with my ptk turbo setup, I just put in I don't want 2 talk about it. I'm kicking my self in the *** and it wheel hops really bad
Old 06-04-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
ummm i just put mine on..... im scared but i only have on rears and it sounds like all your problems are front end problems... i dont remember which kit i have but i know its not the lowest eibach its only 1.3 i think
As far as I know they only make pro-kit (ls1 and lt1 varieties) and sport lines. sounds like you have the pro kit.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do the Sportlines exist? Why did I buy them? [/QUOTE]

why didn`t you remove them after seeing the first sign something was wrong?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

money and time is obviously the answer. and not researching before hand.

how would an alignment make the car ride better? i'm not saying it won't, becuase i know it will but how? the car will see be as low, won't it?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

money and time is obviously the answer. and not researching before hand.

how would an alignment make the car ride better? i'm not saying it won't, becuase i know it will but how? the car will see be as low, won't it?
Ride and handle are two different things. The problems you noted (uneven tire wear, the camber being way off, thus causing the wheels to crack your fender wells) are solvable with an alignment, to bring the wheels back where they need to be. Since you're riding on the inner edges of your front tires, your steering response is going to be terrible. A little negative camber is a good thing, but if you're hitting/rubbing your inner fender wells, that's too much.

Sportlines exist because some people are willing to sacrifice handling and ride comfort for the slammed look. On a concourse car or any car that isn't going to see much street time, they might work. However, if you actually plan to drive the car (not even really performance driving, just driving around on the street), they quickly show their faults.

-Mike
Old 06-05-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

all i've got now are the prokits. i plan on getting them on with some revalved bilsteins. what do you think about that combo for daily driving?

i'm also getting a panhard bar and torque arm put in and already have lca's with relocation brackets.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also Plan on bent sway bar links. My car is not as low and my rear ones where bent (I needed to go with shorter ones. I haven't looked at the front ones yet but I suspect that I will also need to go with shorter links.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

im running sportlines all the way around on my 01 SS with relocation brackets and stock shocks. the only place ive bottomed out/scraped is going in or out of steep business entrances. ive sacrificed a little bit of "ride" for the slammed look. my car doesnt seem to ride as rough as others ive been in with sportlines. got the front aligned and i have no issues with tire wear or rubbing fenders (17" wheels)
Old 06-05-2007, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

thats blows big time...yikes.. should have gotton stranos springs ha

Last edited by Crash00527; 06-05-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

I think I'm the only one who likes the look and feel of the stock springs. I just have the strano springs because I wanted my car to handle better for racing.

If I were to lower my car around sportline level, I'd consider getting the ground control kit where I can choose whatever springrate I want.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

You might want to watch the oil pan drain plug. I believe I bottomed out on speed bumps and that thing took a beating. This was on my old v6 though.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sorry but threads like these just kinda irritate me, but it could be that I'm never up for downright bashing something that could've been avoided if the effort was put forth in the first place.

Now...

watch where you're going and/or go slower?

get an alignment...which, as stated above, you're supposed to do after lowereing a car even a little...

This is the first time I've heard of this...if you're talking about the inner fenders, then don't turn so sharp/drastic and go slower so the rebound while turning isn't as bad, which is what I assume is happening.

once again, go slower, avoid pot holes. and if you're lowered, something's eventually going to hit, it's inevitable

...as seen above...

Why did you? Did you research suspension setups before buying? That's usually the first thing someone does before spending money on something. I know I don't buy anything unless I know exactly what it's effects are going to be. That's why I freaking LOVE this site. It tells you EVERYTHING. LS1TECH =

There are so many people on this site that have Sportlines and love them, but then again there are going to be people that hate them. I for one, love the slammed look but then again love handling. Hence the coilovers I will be getting shortly.

Goodluck in your...delima, I suggest just swapping for a prokit.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ski23
im running sportlines all the way around on my 01 SS with relocation brackets and stock shocks. the only place ive bottomed out/scraped is going in or out of steep business entrances. ive sacrificed a little bit of "ride" for the slammed look. my car doesnt seem to ride as rough as others ive been in with sportlines. got the front aligned and i have no issues with tire wear or rubbing fenders (17" wheels)
Sounds like we have the exact same setup.

I had to adjust my driving and think a little more before going up a hill (to leave a parking lot or driveway etc.) But I think this is the going to be the same anytime you lower any vehicle no matter what the make and model of the springs are.

As far as ride quality: When I do hit a larger bump I deffinitely feel it. But that's not really not a problem for me (of course I like the smell of burnt fuel I get from no cats with LT also so...)

All in all I am happy with the springs. The ride quality is not the greatest but I LOVE the way it looks. I have personally had no problems like the OP mentioned at the beginning, but part of that could be in the setup after the springs are actually on.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

If you didn't get an alignment after replacing the springs...nevermind...I don't want to get kicked off LS1TECH

Quick Reply: What damage have the Eibach Sportlines done to my car?