Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hawk and Axxis pads vs chrome plated wheels, any damage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hawk and Axxis pads vs chrome plated wheels, any damage?

Anyone have any experience with something like this, where brake dust could act as a corrosive on chrome wheels? Just wondering if Hawk and Axxis pads could cause this??

Many thanks!
Old 06-08-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm going to throw this out there..... this didnt happen to you did it? You got me interested in this question lol seriously!!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

i have hawk HP+ all around and chrome Z06s no problems 10k mi. and these pads dust alot
Old 06-08-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Stock pads and/or Cheap Autozone pads destroyed my first set of factory chromes (36k miles). My second set are starting to show corrosion at 91k miles. Not sure about my current PFC's doing any damage or if Hawks will.

I tried to keep the insides and out clean, but I've given up on the insides now.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm just curious as a while back I remember reading on here how some people had issues with pads causing corrosion.

I do nothing with my chrome wheels but wash with water and wipe down with some collonites, and the chrome still bubbles up all over the place. Only thing I can think of it shitty chroming, which I know very well to be true, but also the brake dust which may be a catalyst.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Can't any type of brakedust corrode wheels? The only way I know of keeping your wheels perfect is to keep wiping them down and cleaning them often. Though if you ever find a perfect pad that won't hurt your wheels, let me know because I will buy them.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

The painted/clear coated wheels are the most durable. My pontiac winter wheels and my dad's 97 gtp have never had any problems.

I would also say that ceramic pads are easiest on wheels, but did not have the friction I liked. Newer designs may have improved in the past 5 year though.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

I have some Hawk Ceramics on my Blazer it has a C5 front and a LS1 rear set up. They completely crushed my Boyds and the rotors are shot I'm looking to go with the EBC red stuff with some slotted rotors just rying to keep the rotors cooler cleaner.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter
I'm looking to go with the EBC red stuff with some slotted rotors just rying to keep the rotors cooler cleaner.
Slotted rotors don't run cooler and will produce more dust.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firefighter
I have some Hawk Ceramics on my Blazer it has a C5 front and a LS1 rear set up. They completely crushed my Boyds and the rotors are shot I'm looking to go with the EBC red stuff with some slotted rotors just rying to keep the rotors cooler cleaner.
What do you mean they crushed your boyds? Did they eat away at the metal or chrome, from the brake dust?