Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help! Loud squealing from every corner after pad & rotor swap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Loud squealing from every corner after pad & rotor swap!

my brakes are squealing terribly! I'm not sure what to do, I put on brand new zinc coated rotors, brand new Napa safety stop pads, and all new metal clips that go at the ends of the brake pads and in the top of the caliper. I didn't use the shims that came with the back pads, but I did spray the backs of all of the pads with that sticky squeal stopper. I have no clue what to do, it's incredibly loud and annoying everytime I stop. Please help
-Chris
Old 06-09-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running Napa Brake pads and rotors and mine squeak and squeal to. People are always telling me i need new brakes but this brakes are basically new. They replaced them once because of this but they started doin it again not long after. Napa mechanics installed mine so i dont think installation is to blame especially on to sets of pads.I'm sure they would replace them again for free but i dont see a point in it cause the new ones will squeak and squeak. Oh yea they told me this was normal for them to squeak cause there high performance pads.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, that sucks. They are ceramic pads and I'm told they are the best brakes napa sells. I guess I'll just get some OEM or Hawk brake pads. I just took my calipers off and cleaned and then lubed up the caliper pins, & then sprayed even more of that sticky stuff on the backs of the pads and then hosed down the rotors and the caliper and then insides of the pads with brake cleaner. I took the car for a drive and they are still all squealing.
-Chris
Old 06-10-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

had the same problem. then i got hawk pads!
Old 06-10-2007, 01:19 PM

Napa pads.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars seem real picky about pads. I'd install the shims because that's their whole purpose is to reduce noise. If it's still noisy and you can't tolerate it then go with a different pad. I found a can of brake squeal stopper in the spare tire compartment when I bought my car.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:21 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How did you break in your new brakes?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

first off, you need to make sure u didnt just SPRAY the back of the pads, but put some of that grease or adhesive that keeps the pads stuck. the other would be a proper break in procedure.

Other than that, I wouldnt know.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:48 AM
Banned

Feel free to use a liberal amount of a anti-squeal compound. I recommend a racing grade silicon base. Apply to the piston surface of the caliper as well.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
Yeah, that sucks. They are ceramic pads and I'm told they are the best brakes napa sells. I guess I'll just get some OEM or Hawk brake pads. I just took my calipers off and cleaned and then lubed up the caliper pins, & then sprayed even more of that sticky stuff on the backs of the pads and then hosed down the rotors and the caliper and then insides of the pads with brake cleaner. I took the car for a drive and they are still all squealing.
-Chris
I've tried about everything i can think of and mine still squeal. Seems to be worst at times but i cant stand it anylonger and am about to switchto different pads cause i think these high performance napa pads are junk.

Quick Reply: Help! Loud squealing from every corner after pad & rotor swap!