Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

post pics of roll cages in 98-02 camaros

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question post pics of roll cages in 98-02 camaros

not sure if this is the right place to be posting this but we'll see... im looking to add a roll cage in my 02 SS and i was wondering if people could hook me up with some pics of 98-02 camaros they have seen or have that have roll cages in them. thanks.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/674900-6-point-installed.html

thats mine that i had custom done
Old 06-12-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

how much should i be looking at spending?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

mine was around 900 all i had to do was get most of the interior out and painted it myself. but got quotes up to 2200 . so ask around local fab shops and or race shops and see who does there work that they would trust
Old 06-12-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

ive been looking at the wolfe 6 pts anyone used them or heard about them?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CaMaRo67RS355
ive been looking at the wolfe 6 pts anyone used them or heard about them?
i just installed their bolt in one with dual swing outs, ill takie pics tonight and post them up
Old 06-12-2007, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Wolfe Weld in 6 point, and did the work myself, took about 6 hours straight start to finish, add another 1.5 hours for removing the interior, did that the week before.

The Prep:

In Progress:

Result:

Old 06-13-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

looks great how hard was painting it?
Old 06-13-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a thread about a 3rd gen cage we built for a road race car.

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=9223

CnP from another thread ...

Wolfe only uses ERW tubing. Almost all classes of road racing I'm familiar with requires DOM tubing which is much stronger and built to higher standards. It's also twice the price.

Also, a bolt in cage is just about next to worthless as it bolts in through the floor pan. The pan is thin gauge sheet metal and will deform and/or rip when stressed.

Because it bolts to the pan, the attach points are well inside the passenger compartment. This practice doesn't give you a solid foundation to build off of and it causes things like heads, arms and legs better contact points.

And consequently, doesn't add a tremendous amount of chassis rigidity,

In the refenced thread, notice the base plates welded to significant structural points (where multiple seams come together).

And amazingly enough, the inside cage demensions are almost identical between 3rd and 4th gens. I was very surprised ...

It would be best if you painted the cage BEFORE installaion. Masking off the interior is a very tough task. And there are some areas you just can't get to.

Also, use a good grade automotive paint, not Rustoleum. Use duplicolor or similr so that the paint doesn't turn to powder in U/V environment.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great how hard was painting it?

Easy, its not as big of a deal as most people make it out to be. I used VHT Epoxy chassis paint I believe, its $9 bucks a can, but it lasted a while, it only wore down where my seat belt sometimes clashed into it. I used a couple big clear plastic bags, cut them open, and put them over the dash, and door panels, and glass, since the rest of the interior was totally out, I really didnt mind much of a little overspray on the floor, or other half painted by gm parts. It really is quite an easy install if you have the tools..
Old 04-07-2015, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Here's a thread about a 3rd gen cage we built for a road race car.

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=9223

CnP from another thread ...

Wolfe only uses ERW tubing. Almost all classes of road racing I'm familiar with requires DOM tubing which is much stronger and built to higher standards. It's also twice the price.

Also, a bolt in cage is just about next to worthless as it bolts in through the floor pan. The pan is thin gauge sheet metal and will deform and/or rip when stressed.

Because it bolts to the pan, the attach points are well inside the passenger compartment. This practice doesn't give you a solid foundation to build off of and it causes things like heads, arms and legs better contact points.

And consequently, doesn't add a tremendous amount of chassis rigidity,

In the refenced thread, notice the base plates welded to significant structural points (where multiple seams come together).

And amazingly enough, the inside cage demensions are almost identical between 3rd and 4th gens. I was very surprised ...

It would be best if you painted the cage BEFORE installaion. Masking off the interior is a very tough task. And there are some areas you just can't get to.

Also, use a good grade automotive paint, not Rustoleum. Use duplicolor or similr so that the paint doesn't turn to powder in U/V environment.

I second this is because it all depends on the application. If you are looking for a road racing cage you should contact Alan Blaine about application. Also he has a 6 pt pre-built option if you have a known builder to put it in your car.

Heres some of his work.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

not sure if this is the right place to be posting this but we'll see... im looking to add a roll cage in my 02 SS and i was wondering if people could hook me up with some pics of 98-02 camaros they have seen or have that have roll cages in them. thanks.
Here is a good link to a customer that installed one of our kits. Always have them bent up in stock and can be purchased prenotched.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-underway.html

Quick Reply: post pics of roll cages in 98-02 camaros