Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question about doing my own brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about doing my own brakes?

OK i hear rubbing coming from my rear, and my brakes squeel when coming to a stop. I was wondering if i could just swap out the pads, and then fix the problem. The only thing i see in the rotor is a small single line tht goes slightly IN the rotor, all the way around. other then that the rotor looks flat, so do you think id be ok on just leaving the rotor if it only has the one line in it.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Nah,,,,, get the rotors replaced each time you do brakes. ... they are cheap...
Old 06-11-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Rotors are like $40 to hundreds depending on what you get. I find no reason, at least in the rear, to replace the rotors unless they are warped, damaged or below min. thickness.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most stock rotors are warped. Buy cheap Ebay ones or, if you plan on keeping the car for awhile, then get the Brembo blanks...
Old 06-13-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hasenbonkers
OK i hear rubbing coming from my rear, and my brakes squeel when coming to a stop. I was wondering if i could just swap out the pads, and then fix the problem. The only thing i see in the rotor is a small single line tht goes slightly IN the rotor, all the way around. other then that the rotor looks flat, so do you think id be ok on just leaving the rotor if it only has the one line in it.
Have you ever looked at a set of ls1 brake pads? They all have one side where a piece of metal sticks out off the edge, but doesn't protrude further than the pad material until the pad is almost completely worn. Your pad material has gone lower than the metal wear indicator piece which is causing the line digging into the rotor. It's time you replaced your rotors and pads

Brembo blank rotors are a great deal for the quality of rotor you are getting. You can get a set of cheaper drilled slotted wierd non-namebrand rotors as well, but you won't ever see those on my car. Check out the brake faq in this section and decide what you think is right for you. If I were daily driving, I'd probably just get some sort of cheaper duralast brakepad set for money reasons. For a good performance street set of pads, HPS you can't go wrong with.

Quick Reply: Question about doing my own brakes?