Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

installing front struts...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing front struts...

do it yourself? or take it to a shop?

shops seem to want around 300ish in just the labor alone... I know its a lengthy install for a first timer, but I've also heard without a strut compressor like some shops have, it can also be extremely dangerous to do it yourself even with those handheld "rental" tools...

any advice?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Do it yourself. A lot of people get to the point where they have the spring/shock assembly removed, take those and the new springs to a shop, and have the shop do just that part. Most shops won't charge you much for that.

I have a set of spring compressors from Autozone that I've used three times, but I'm not sure I trust them again.

-Mike
Old 06-12-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

I say do it yourself. Rent those spring compressors from Autozone and use a hand tool to compress them (no power tools, etc.). It really isn't that bad of an install, just be sure to have about 4-5 hours to complete the job if it's your first time. I definetely wouldn't pay someone to do this install if all the tools were available to me.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Do it yourself. A lot of people get to the point where they have the spring/shock assembly removed, take those and the new springs to a shop, and have the shop do just that part. Most shops won't charge you much for that.

I have a set of spring compressors from Autozone that I've used three times, but I'm not sure I trust them again.

-Mike
any suggestions on what shop to take it to? I'd have to do one sort of within walking distance or not far of a drive...

suppose I could take it to a firestone
Old 06-12-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just installed springs and shocks today for the first time. Its actually pretty easy. Go for it!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
any suggestions on what shop to take it to? I'd have to do one sort of within walking distance or not far of a drive...

suppose I could take it to a firestone
I'd call around and ask them if they have a strut compressor. I know my local Midas does, but like I said, I've only done my own. The "clamp on threaded block style compressors" (like I use) can be pretty scary.

-Mike
Old 06-12-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not that bad. Just take your time. And be careful when you compress the springs.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

I don't see what the big deal is with using the spring compressoring rental tool from Autozone. I've used it atleast 5 times and haven't had a problem. I realize that a compressed spring has a good bit of potential energy, but it's not like the tool is flimsy for the spring to suddenly shoot up in the air. Maybe if the spring/tool is dropped and it somehow knocks one side of the tool off, but that's kinda being careless on the installers part.

Also, how far do you guys compress the springs? For my stock springs, I only had to compress them a couple of inches for the shock shaft to clear the top coil and it took even less compression on my Strano springs.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You had to compress your strano springs??? What shocks?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

You can do them yourself. Me and a buddy did mine. Just be careful and take your time if you use Autozone type ones. We did and for whatever reason, the compressors shifted and pinched my skin a bit. If you take your time and keep a close eye, you'll be fine.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02trns_am
You had to compress your strano springs??? What shocks?
Yes, I had to compress one spring a little bit. And by a little bit, I mean ~.25" for me to be able to get the nut on the shock shaft (about 2-3 threads). I'm running Koni SA's.