Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)

Old 06-16-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default UPDATED - New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)

A couple of weeks ago I installed a new, stronger front sway bar with poly bushings and new end links.
Please look at the pictures: the driver side bushing seems to be too far away or the bar is too short, in fact the bushing is distorted.
Your opinion? Is that OK? What should I do?

Also please tell me if the links are supposed to be as tight as this. Too much? Not enough?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)-bushing-driver-inside.jpg   New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)-bushing-driver-outside.jpg   New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)-link-driver.jpg  

Last edited by tici; 06-25-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

C'mon guys! Do you think I can drive like that or should I modify something?
That bushing doesn't look good, it's bended.
Would you leave it or would you do something?

One thing is clear: the piece of bar that goes through the bushing isn't straight.
Maybe the bar too short, maybe the bushing in the wrong position (too far away towards the wheel).

???
Old 06-17-2007, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

was your car jacked up or at ride height in those pics? Is it lowered?
Old 06-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tici
C'mon guys! Do you think I can drive like that or should I modify something?
That bushing doesn't look good, it's bended.
Would you leave it or would you do something?

One thing is clear: the piece of bar that goes through the bushing isn't straight.
Maybe the bar too short, maybe the bushing in the wrong position (too far away towards the wheel).

???
Not normal in terms of what my 35mm bushing looks like. Safe to drive around like that though wouldn't worry too much about it
Old 06-18-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
was your car jacked up or at ride height in those pics? Is it lowered?
Stock springs
Stock height
Koni SA
The car was at ride height

The passenger bushing is perfect. It's right in the middle of the (short) straight piece of the sway bar. The deformed bushing is already on the piece of the bar that makes a bend towards the link.

Last edited by tici; 06-18-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

The bar is being pulled to the passenger side of the car. Bars are built in a jig, so yours can't really be different than any of the others.

Undo the endlinks completely. Take the D-bushing out and turn it around in the bracket. When you re-install note there are slots in the U-brackets that hold those bushings which allow some fore/aft movementn. Make sure the bar is pushed as far to the rear as it will go. When you hook you links back up, you want the car's suspension loaded (someone in the driver's seat) and start with the Driver's side link. I believe the passenger side link is overly tight and it's pulling the bar to the right side of the car. You don't want to tighten the one completely before starting the other. You need to get them both started, and work them both down, but driver's side first and never overly tight. Just tight enough so the bushings, washers, etc can't be spun.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-18-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
There are slots in the U-brackets that hold those bushings which allow some fore/aft movementn. Make sure the bar is pushed as far to the rear as it will go
Good idea!

I believe the passenger side link is overly tight and it's pulling the bar to the right side of the car
I left the same amount of threads left (driver/passanger) on top of the nut.
OK, it's not a guarantee that they are tight the same...

I'll give it a check

Thanks - Stefano
Old 06-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Good idea!

I left the same amount of threads left (driver/passanger) on top of the nut.
OK, it's not a guarantee that they are tight the same...

I'll give it a check

Thanks - Stefano
Did you torque the endlink bolts or just count the threads? Not 100% sure, but I would torque them to specs. I think it was 10lbs.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I started to torque them according to the instructions, but I had the feeling it was already too tight without reaching the torque value.
I greased the threads to be able to remove them some day: this modify for sure the torque value.

Acoording to Sam Strano: "Just tight enough so the bushings, washers, etc can't be spun".

In the link box the instructions say to torqu them.

According to Hotchkis: "Tighten till the bushings are squeezed to a larger diameter that their support washer"

Some more ideas?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Teching In

I started to torque them according to the instructions, but I had the feeling it was already too tight without reaching the torque value.
I greased the threads to be able to remove them some day: this modify for sure the torque value.

Acoording to Sam Strano: "Just tight enough so the bushings, washers, etc can't be spun".

In the link box the instructions say to torqu them.

According to Hotchkis: "Tighten till the bushings are squeezed to a larger diameter that their support washer"

Some more ideas?
When I did my endlinks, they were getting smashed and did expand to a larger diameter than the washer. It definitely seemed odd to me like they were too tight, but I just followed the instructions as stated and torqued them.

But this doesn't sound like the problem. As someone else stated it's probably because the bar is too far over to the one side. Good luck!!
Old 06-24-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default I did my homeworks...

Firs of all (pics 1 + 2) look at the piece where you bolt the U-bracket that holds the bushing. It's not flat, there is a "valley" in the middle. The stock rubber bushings have the same shape, the aftermarket PU bushings don't.
Result: the force is not applied to the whole surface of the bushing (the middle portion can flex). I cut two steel plates that go between the bushing and the frame. At least the bushings are now sitting on a flat surface.

Bar (pics 3 to 6) the places that go through the bushings are supposed to be cylindrical, like a piece of streight pipe. They aren’t!
No chances for the bushings to "hug" the bar: a good chance for sand and water to go in the space in Between

Bar length (pics 7 to 10) the slots in the U-brackets are enough to move them just 2-3 mm (1/10") - not really enough to make a big adjustment.
The bar is definitely too short: no matter how I pull it left<-> right on side is too short (the pictures were taken when the links were loose, so what you see just depends on the bar).

Once I tightened the links the situation of the bar's bushings didn’t change.

Result (to my opinion): either the bar is too short, or the hangers are too far away.
I can't imagine that my frame is special... sooo... is it possible that this bar is too short??

A possible solution: install U-Brackets with offset holes.

What do you think?

PS: go with your mouse on the pics to see what # they are: they aren't in the right sequence....
Attached Thumbnails New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)-01-bushing-holder.jpg   New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)-02-plates.jpg   New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)-03-bar-driver-1.jpg   New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)-04-bar-driver-2.jpg   New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)-05-bar-pass-1.jpg  

New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)-06-bar-pass-2.jpg   New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)-07-bushing-driver-1.jpg   New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)-08-bushing-driver-2.jpg   New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)-09-bushing-pass-1.jpg   New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)-10-bushing-pass-2.jpg  

Last edited by tici; 06-25-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

I'd just like to post up that I have the same issues with my bar. Not to much the pulling, but the feeling that the bar is "too short". I've only got around an 1/8" clearance between the bar and each shock. The endlinks were very difficult to install because only one at a time would line up straight (even when just putting the bolt through with no nut or anything. I tried everything during install.

I've just let it be. Haven't had any issues, and it doesn't make any noise.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

To solve my issue I'm fabricating a piece that bolts in the original frame holes and allows to install the U-Bracket 3/4" away from the wheel.
At that point the bar is more or less straight.
I'll post a pic as soon it's done

...it really looks like something isn't 100% OK: either aren't all F-bodies built the same, or the bars...
Old 06-27-2007, 11:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The bars are built in a jig....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Just checked my bar and all parts are centered and clearances are good.

Maybe if the camber and caster bolts on both sides are pushed all the way in one direction, the bar would have a temdency to move in that direction. But then I assume your alignment should be pretty messed up.

greg
Old 06-27-2007, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

My new bar was close to an inch shorter than my stock bar was when I compared them off the car before installing the new bar.

Don't get me wrong, I have no complaints about the performance of the bar. It does exactly what its supposed to do. Installation is just a pain. Won't be the easiest to disconnect/reconnect at the track quickly!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

The bars are built in a jig....
Yep... but then why it looks shorter? No matter how I pull it left or right, one side will be too short and the bushing will be on the bent part of the pipe, not where it's straight.

Mine is a convertible, is it possible that they are a little different?

It's not a big issue. As said, I can fabricate something. The bar is working fine, I just don't like the idea of stuff going between the bushing and the bar.

Ok, I'm VERY picky too. I expect everything is 100% perfect
Old 06-28-2007, 12:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The bushings to bar surface is never hermetically sealed. Dirty and dust will pretty much get in there no matter what. I'm at a bit of a loss as why your seems to be narrower than most, though it won't pose a problem.

As for disconnecting @ the track, just unhook an endlink, no need to remove the bar unless you have to save the weight.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

I know, that's all I used to do with the stock bar. It doesn't weigh enough for me to care about weight-wise, it was just to get rid of some resistance in the front suspension on launch, of course.

My main problem doesn't lie in mounting the bar to the car (though I have the same problem as he does, it doesn't bother me as much). It is getting both endlinks installed easily. They're on such an angle that it's very difficult to get a socket on the bolt head in the A-arm. Need to do them both at the same time, and even then it still isn't very easy. The stock bar had the bolts straight up and down and I never had issues like this. That'd be why it'll be a pain to unhook one endlink at the track and hook it back up.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

The bushings to bar surface is never hermetically sealed. Dirty and dust will pretty much get in there no matter what. I'm at a bit of a loss as why your seems to be narrower than most, though it won't pose a problem
I don't see it as a big problem, I'm not complaining either (for a complain I'd prefer to contact you directly).
I'd just like to know what other people is experiencing with aftermarket bars. Not only yours... in general.

As said: i'll fabricate something in the next few days and post it. It may help other members (or yourself too).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New front bar: problem with bushings? (with pics)