Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

So I just got an alignment done today and it still pulls right.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So I just got an alignment done today and it still pulls right.

Everything is within specs as far as the alignment goes. They said it could be the tire that is making it pull right.

Now, all four tires have pretty even wear on them and the tire pressure is all the same.

The car hasn't had any accidents.

Could it realy be the tire?

And on a side note, the camber setting was fine after lowering the car with the eibach prokit. Everyone says you have to get an alignment if you lower the car.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Launching!

How bad does it pull right? Most of the cars I've owned or driven pull to the right somewhat, whether they are following the crown of the road or the car is aligned to do that (caster I think causes that). My car pulls everywhere here in NWFL, the roads have been laid over sand, causing "ruts". I guess the 275's don't help either . On a nice flat road, the car is perfectly straight. Here's my alignment spec's given by Sam Strano

.25 - .5* negative camber
4* positive camber
1/16 inch toe in per side, giving a total of 1/8 inch.

If your tire wear is normal, and the car doesn't pull excessively, especially under braking on a flat, even road, I'd just watch the tire pressure and wear to make sure that the wear is still normal. If it begins to wear excessively on one side of a tire, or pulls excessively, then I would redo the alignment. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rotate the tires and see if that helps.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

keep in mind unless you have camber plates, you CANT adjust your alignment. i just did my full suspension - koni SA 4/4, strano springs, strano front bar. i went for an alignment at a good shop....the only thing you can adjust is your toe, which ive heard the best for street/autox was 0 toe. i bought my TA brand new, and since day one, she pulled to the left on the highway. went back to the dealear twice in the first month, had 2 alignments, and still pulled. even after the suspension AND another alignment, STILL pulls to the left. they guys said it could be the tires. they are original, have been rotated alot since ive been racing (swapping tires), and have somewhat even wear. i have new rims and getting new tires soon, so maybe that will change.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Dex
TECH Regular

In specs doesnt really mean ****. I can align a car have everything in "spec" and make that bitch pull hardcore. All specs need to be within .5 degree of each other. The easiest way to check for tire pull is to swap tires left to right and see if the pull changes direction. If it does you need new tires.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Caster and camber can be adjusted by using the lower control arms, I've had/seen it done with mine. The bolts that hold the control arm in are placed within elipical shaped holes, thus allowing such adjustments. If you have a service manual, you can see how the dealer performs the adjustment on page 3-19. The guy who aligned my car knew how to adjust the camber/caster, but the shop manager didn't. I believe the 3rd Gen's cannot be adjusted, only toe, and that's where the confusion for the shops might be.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes...............................it can be the tires. It is called a "Radial Pull" and it happens when there is a minor defect in the tire from manufacturing (also referred to as a heavy spot in the tire).

Like suggested above.................rotate the tires side to side.............if it changes, you'll know that most likely that is the cause. You can then move it to the back but whenever rotated back to the front, you will again have your "pull" to one side or the other depending on which side the tire is on.

Keep in mind that your tires are "probably" directional so if you swap it from side to side and determine that that is the problem...............you will need to move it back to the side it was originally on and I would suggest putting it on the rear.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

This happens on all vehicles, though it is noticed more in some than in others. The reason this is is due to state and federal highway regulations. If a driver falls asleep on the interstate, the car will pull to the right and hit the rumble strip, causing the driver to wake up. Without the slight pull to the right, a vehicle would be more prone to crossing the median into oncoming traffic causing unnecessary havoc. Granted, there are rumble strips on both sides of the interstate, but don't you feel more secure knowing that vehicles are pulling to the right?
Old 06-23-2007, 03:14 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to take some notes on this stuff. My car needs an alignment extremely bad.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I say check your tires
Old 06-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kidreno_21
This happens on all vehicles, though it is noticed more in some than in others. The reason this is is due to state and federal highway regulations. If a driver falls asleep on the interstate, the car will pull to the right and hit the rumble strip, causing the driver to wake up. Without the slight pull to the right, a vehicle would be more prone to crossing the median into oncoming traffic causing unnecessary havoc. Granted, there are rumble strips on both sides of the interstate, but don't you feel more secure knowing that vehicles are pulling to the right?
Can i see some proof on this? My car went dead straight on a good road when i first got it. Then i hit a curb
Old 06-23-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

This is a load of There is no regulation requiring cars to pull one way or the other. If you fall asleep you're more likely to pull to the side of the road you're on just because of the crown of the road, which is exactly why there are those strips on both sides.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
keep in mind unless you have camber plates, you CANT adjust your alignment. i just did my full suspension - koni SA 4/4, strano springs, strano front bar. i went for an alignment at a good shop....the only thing you can adjust is your toe
Caster and Camber CAN be adjusted on these cars. It is adjusted via the A-ARMS. These cars do not and cannot have camber plates because they don't have front struts. Camber plates are for cars with front struts.

Again, the front suspension on these are dual A-arm with shocks and the Caster and Camber are adjustable.

The reason this is is due to state and federal highway regulations. If a driver falls asleep on the interstate, the car will pull to the right and hit the rumble strip, causing the driver to wake up.
I have never heard of this before (I think someone was feeding you a line ), and its a horrible idea if you are driving in the left lane....then you'd cross 3+ lanes of traffic

I have my alignment set so that both sides are the same.
Check out the sticky I wrote:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....38&postcount=3

Last edited by VIP1; 06-23-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
keep in mind unless you have camber plates, you CANT adjust your alignment. i just did my full suspension - koni SA 4/4, strano springs, strano front bar. i went for an alignment at a good shop....the only thing you can adjust is your toe, which ive heard the best for street/autox was 0 toe. i bought my TA brand new, and since day one, she pulled to the left on the highway. went back to the dealear twice in the first month, had 2 alignments, and still pulled. even after the suspension AND another alignment, STILL pulls to the left. they guys said it could be the tires. they are original, have been rotated alot since ive been racing (swapping tires), and have somewhat even wear. i have new rims and getting new tires soon, so maybe that will change.

ROFL you got shafted by your alignment guy. This pic shows UMI's new k-frame. The alignment adjustments are shown in yellow. The adjustments are in the same spot for the factory k-frame. Sounds to me like your mechanic charged you a dumbass fee.

Quick Reply: So I just got an alignment done today and it still pulls right.