Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

braked extremly hard and now there is an issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default braked extremly hard and now there is an issue

I was going doen the road at about 80 (yes i know i was speeding and am stupid) well this minivan pulls into the intersection and just freezes. So I slam the brakes and she slides and fishes and comes to a stop about 3 feet away from the minivan , i am very very lucky and so is that lady. Wel I braked so hard I was seeing smoke coming from the tires, didnt know if it was the tires or the friction from pads on rotors. Well the pads were fairly new but they were squeaking a bit anyway but now when I hit the brake, the front wheels feel like ther loping. Like that feeling you get when your tires are rolling on the reflectors on the floor that sometimes divide lanes. the tires are brand new (i mean like a week old KDW's), so i dont think its the tires because I only feel it when I brake. So do I need to get the pad changed out or is it something worse.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the warped rotor fairy visited you.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soulless
That and I do believe you most likely glazed your rotors, i had something similar happen to me but it wasnt an 80-0 stop either..
Old 06-26-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

WERD.

If you have the stock rotors I wouldn't be surprised that the heavy brake application you need to avoid that accident caused your front rotors to warp.

Join the club...

If they did in fact warp, you could get them turned/resurfaced, but sooner or later(actually sooner than later), they're gonna warp again...

Factory rotors can't be resurfaced too often, they'll get too thin and you'll have to buy new factory ones only for them to warp too

If they warped, go buy you some autozone rotors, better quality iron than GM rotors, they won't warp. Cheaper too.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

If they are the stock rotors, get some Brembo (or similar) blanks to replace them. I had a similar situation (though not quite so extreme as 80-0). Take the opportunity to upgrade the pads too. You won't regret it.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Another choice is to step up to c-5 rotors.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm i was thinking that also, the rotors are not stock they are aftermarket slotted rotors

how much will c5 rotors cost me, will i need a new caliper
Old 06-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Launching!

+1 does the pedal "fight back" when you apply the brakes? itll feel inconsistent if they're warped. lumpy, if you will. get a cheap pair from autozone or something. they seem to be more durable than drilled/slotted rotors.

edit: phoenix up there has an even better idea. go with the brembo blanks if you want something better. but like i said, the autozones will suffice.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for all the help guys, teaches me a lesson...if I was doing 100 that minivan would have crossed the intersection long after i would have passed it...just kidding i need to take some lead out of my step. thanks again guys
Old 06-26-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Slotted rotors are for show only. They crack and are more likely to warp because the slots cut away material and reduce both swept area (performance) and heat handling capabilities (warping).
Old 06-26-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

You can't switch to C5 Rotors that easily. You will need to purchase a bracket to extend the caliper outward, the Corvette PAB to attach to the Caliper and new pads and rotors. It does sound like a warped rotor to me though. Just get cheap blanks from Autozone. I am not convinced that the Brembo blanks are all they are cracked up to be. I hear they warp too.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Did you break-in the new pads when they were installed? You may have just applied an uneven layer of pad material onto the rotors which will give a sensation similar to warped rotors. Try a break-in procedure again to see if the situation improves before spending money.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

I will give the Brembo's a thumbs up. As for warping I can't imagine that happening to an unturned Brembo rotor. I used a set at a track day and got the brakes hot enough to melt the plastic center caps off my rims (lesson here is to remove center caps before track day). I used over half a set of Hawk HP+ pads that day and even cut some nasty grooves in the Brembos that I wasn't happy about... but those rotors where still totally unwarped. When I got them turned to remove the grooves, the guy at the shop even commented on how they were the best rotors he'd ever seen in terms of run-out (warp). The Brembo blanks are a very high quality piece that I would recommend to anyone. I wasn't happy about how my pads cut up the Brembos, but they didn't warp at all with all the adbuse. In my case I just need to get some more air to the brakes to keep them cooler.

But to be fair, once you turn a rotor (remove material), or just have a ton of wear and they get thin, you will have a better chance to warp any rotor... even expensive high dollar stuff, so it is possible to warp a Brembo rotor. But I would think it would be one near the end of its useful life anyway.

If you stick with stock brakes get the Brembo's and a decent set of pads.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

where are you guys buying the brembo blanks??

looking to upgrade brakes soon.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by teke184
where are you guys buying the brembo blanks??

looking to upgrade brakes soon.
Sam Strano and TireRack are two popular places

Quick Reply: braked extremly hard and now there is an issue