Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

An insightful look into BMR Vs. UMI

Old 06-28-2007, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post An insightful look into BMR Vs. UMI

So, search is being rediculous right now, and it's late and my eyes hurt, so please bear with me on this one as these are questions that my searching did not answer.

I've done enough research to realize that UMI is reccomended significantly more than BMR is. The threads I've read on it though have only tended to say just that however. There was no reasons why really. Through looking at both sites their parts seem to be rather identical, but the biggest thing I noticed was that UMI was cheaper.

So here's the questions:

Do people pick UMI over BMR because the same parts are cheaper?

And Does UMI really make the better part of the two companies? I think I remember reading that they use different bushings on each end of the pan-hard or LCA's which prevents bind which is good.

So I greatly appreciate your input.

Paul
Old 06-28-2007, 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

While I can't comment on BMR as I do not have anything from them I can say that UMI is awesome. Their customer service, shipping and communication is great and the fit and finish of their parts are great. My buddy has BMR stuff on his car and he likes it though.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

They are both sponsors... so I'll send a PM
Old 06-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gone with UMI for their customer service, and their presence on this board. I've had products from both companies, and both were great.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
They are both sponsors... so I'll send a PM
If you have legitimate problems with either, air it in public. It doesn't do anyone any good otherwise.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think one reason UMI is bigger is due to them talking on this board and Sam backing them and selling the part.

BMR mostly makes really good stuff too, just like UMI,sphoen etc.

The main thing is good rod ends and good welds. I mean building an LCA is not rocket science.

I"m sure the lower price helps as always.

HOpe that helps.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as said above, i went with umi because ryan (i think that was his name?) is always on the board helping people, im sure id be just as happy with bmr as i am with the few umi products ive ordered... but umi is leading in the ls1 community because they go the extra mile...
Old 06-28-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool thnkas for all your thoughts on this. I appreciate it. I already have BMR's STB and Sways, but I think I'll give UMI a try for the rest of my suspension work.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

i have UMI components and they are excellent. their prices just went up though
Old 06-28-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im in the process of doing my suspension, and most pieces will consist of UMI parts
Old 06-29-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If you have legitimate problems with either, air it in public. It doesn't do anyone any good otherwise.
I agree. Its not bashing if it is true experience...and that is the value of the forum. Buying a sponsor spot doesn't make them immune to criticism.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the sponsors here would disagree with you (unrelated to these two brands, or any of the suspension sponsors here). But I totally agree.

In a thread comparing one brand to the other, its only fair for people to be able to post the negatives along with the positives of each brand. Hearing both sides to the story gives more insight.

I'm very happy with my UMI stuff and have enjoyed talking to Ryan on the phone in the past. I always tell people that he actually sold me on a cheaper item than I was originally asking him about because he said the more expensive item wouldn't benefit my setup (different types of LCAs). That's service. Taking customer satisfaction/trust over money. Most companies try to upsell you, but because he didn't I'll go through them for every suspension part I buy unless I feel another brand's product is far superior....which as of now, I don't think anyone is

I do feel that UMI makes the best K-member on the market right now, and I'm very happy about the design of my torque arm that I've got from them.

I've had no experiences whatsoever, good or bad, with BMR, so I cannot comment on how they compare.

Last edited by DuronClocker; 07-01-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Try explaining that to NineBall about 2002BlackWS6. Selling products for 475 shipped when you could get it for 299.99.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:37 AM
TECH Resident

I have some BMR stuff and am very pleased with both the parts and the customer service.
A friend bought some UMI stuff and I was very impressed with the quality of the parts, I kinda figured they were going to look and feel cheap but that was not the case.
You really can't go wrong with either one.

Having said that my new LCAs and panhard rod are from Burkhart chassis.
Go figure.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bluntly, I think BMR lost some favor when there were issues with a few of their K members breaking (less than 10 out of the 100s they've sold). With that said they did replace them and everything turned out ok, there was also no serious damage to the car other than the broke K member. In addition there have also been questions about how strong the design is of the LCAs and PHR with the adjustment in the middle. Ideally the adjustment points would be at the ends to prevent flex.

UMI learned from BMRs "mistakes" and designed their pieces with reinforcements where the BMR pieces were having trouble, they also do not use adjustments in the center of locating bars.

A search will turn up all this info and for all I know BMR has reinforced the K members where they were breaking I haven't heard one way or the other.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

The UMI stuff is nice I just got subframes and lca's from them. I ran BMR stuff on my last car and wanted to try something else. But be prepared to wait for the UMI suspension pieces they are really backed up. I ordered my subframes and LCA's on 6/8 and got them yesterday. My torque arm was also ordered on the 8th and it isn't supposed to be delivered 7/2. Overall though their product looks top notch to me.

Scott
Old 07-01-2007, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have BMR LCAs and they're great. Just got my UMI adjustable tq arm and it is great quality, along with the SFCs. I'm pleased with both companies but the UMI parts were a bit cheaper.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

i have everything umi makes for the f body on my car with the exception of i dont run a strut tower brace. and my rear sway bar is going to be wolfe. great quality great people to deal with. i guess thats why i started selling there products. bmr is very good as well bmr has been around a lot longer the only thing i disagree with them on is everything now comming standard in black hammer tone powder coat. i have 2 shop cars both camaros mine is all umi and my buissness partners is all bmr when his car was done bmr was all that is around. in the next few months i will be switching torque arms because im going with a 9 in rear end i will be using a madman torque arm.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I run spohn stuff just for the reason Steve is a great guy to deal with and there shop is only 15 min from me so I can drive there and pick up what ever I need, BMR, Spohn and UMI all make good stuff, its what ever you want to run.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
Some of the sponsors here would disagree with you (unrelated to these two brands, or any of the suspension sponsors here). But I totally disagree.

:doh: I was just re-reading this thread and noticed I made a mistake and meant to say that I totally AGREE not DISAGREE (opposite of what I said about some sponsors).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: An insightful look into BMR Vs. UMI