Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which should I do first?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which should I do first?

I am gonna go to Spohn during lunch today and pick up one of the 3. SFC's or i could go with the front or rear sway bar. I have enough cash on me to go with only one.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Personally I would do the SFC's first. I'm going to be installing my strano sway bars this afternoon so we'll see how big of a difference they make.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

front or rear sway bar?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

If handling is the priority, i'd do a hollow 35mm front bar first. The solid bars weight will slow you down. Also all poly on the endlinks and u-bushings.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

SFC's without question
Old 06-28-2007, 12:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Swaybars, without question.

You guys act like the cars have the torsional rigidity of a cooked egg-noodle. Hmm... I don't have SFC's on my car, seems to handle pretty well considering the 4 different SCCA Championships it's won (of my 5) and that's with tires and cornering loads that are a bit beyond the norm because of the tires. Car pulls 1.2g steady state.

SFC's are not BAD THINGS. I sell 'em. The fact of the matter is the chassis is not nearly as screwed up as the suspension from GM.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Well I guess I forgot to ask....what do you do with this car? DD with some track time, road racing, just cruising?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

this is definitely a toy car. i jjust get it out on weekends and beat it impress my friends jump it all kinds of stuff
Old 06-28-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chadnol10
this is definitely a toy car. i jjust get it out on weekends and beat it impress my friends jump it all kinds of stuff
Get shocks(Konis or revalves), you will be so happy you did.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Out of what you listed, front sway hands down.
Most fun upgrade i've put on my car.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Strano,
i've seen multiple posts on here from you discouraging SFC's. I agree and disagree. I just installed my SFC's and must say i'm very impressed with them. I appreciate your input but they did make a big difference. They did not improve my handling at all so if i was in your position of just having a race car only i wouldn't buy them. but if your car is a DD or if you go to the track once and a while I highly recommend them. They made the car so much stiffer and also helped it to hook up better. I was really taken back by how much it stiffened the car up.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

And you are free to agree or disagree. However, I don't seen shocks on you list of mods. So how can you say shocks wouldn't have made as much, or more difference? And my car is driven on the street. Has tags and everything, and actually I pull the race number and such off to not attract unwanted attention because I *DO* drive the car on the street. Folks on this site have ridden in it.

I'm getting a little tired of saying this, but I'll try again. I don't think SFC's are bad things in any way. I just feel shocks are much more important and the majority of good folks see from SFC's (or those that actually do see a change) is in impact harshness and shocks have a lot to do with that.

I don't think the car hooks any better with the connectors, but I'd love to see some 60's to back that statement up. Which brings me to my final point. YMMV. You get two folks with differing opinions all the time on these boards. Generally I'll side with the ones who have some proof or numbers to show a part worked better. Not always are they right, but frankly in my line of work I deal with so many people I've heard it all. And I'm not going to say you don't like your car better, I'm sure you do. But again, I never said SFC's are bad things, and you don't have shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Launching!

If you want to know what stiff is, put a set of sway bars and decent shocks on your ride. Stiff and control, cant beat that.