Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are my backing plates on right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are my backing plates on right?

I pieced together this LS1 4th gen rear for my 83 Z so im not sure how the backing plates go. The backing plates were labeled left and right. I assumed the left side was for the drivers side and the right side was for the passenger side. Do I have these on right? I would hate to install the rear only to find out I messed up and have to do it all over again.

Here is the passenger side.

Here is the drivers side.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

correct but you have a bolt missing a nut.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Launching!

What color is that '83? I live in Crest-tucky too, red Z28 with black SS hood. Sorry about the hijack....
Old 06-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Ok I got the rear end in and pretty much everything installed. Two problems though. One, my adjustable panhard bar won't fit. The bushings are too big for the openings. I can probably just enlarge them though. Second, my bro can't get the front brake pad back on one of the calipers. He took it out so he could compress the piston. Are there any tricks to getting it on?

Originally Posted by rd_ls1_z
What color is that '83? I live in Crest-tucky too, red Z28 with black SS hood. Sorry about the hijack....

Thats cool. My 83 Z is black here is a pic. I may have seen you either earlier this week or last week one morning on 85. You go to Holt at all?

Old 06-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Launching!

The PHB should fit from '82 to '02. Does the mounting area/tabs, if you will, look pitched? And the pads don't fit the caliper or once on the caliper, the caliper won't slide over the rotor? A friend of mine purchased some from one of the parts stores, and we had to take a grinder to them b/c the friction material was too thick. If they're loose, did he happen to lose the retaining clips that fit between the ends of the pad and the caliper?

Do/did you work at Autozone? I have to say, you've got one of the nicer looking 3rd Gens around here. I yes, I go to Holt every once and a while to hang out, I don't run since this is the only driver I've got right now, need not to break anything .
Old 06-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mike83z
Second, my bro can't get the front brake pad back on one of the calipers. He took it out so he could compress the piston. Are there any tricks to getting it on?
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ds_mwarren.htm
I know its a LS1 4th gen instead of a 3rd gen, but the principles are the same. Also, for safety, only do one wheel at a time instead of putting the whole car on jack stands at once.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VIP1
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ds_mwarren.htm
I know its a LS1 4th gen instead of a 3rd gen, but the principles are the same. Also, for safety, only do one wheel at a time instead of putting the whole car on jack stands at once.
Thanks for the guide. It will come in handy since now I know the caliper can be taken apart. So I should hopefully be able to get that pad and caliper installed tommorow.

Originally Posted by rd_ls1_z
The PHB should fit from '82 to '02. Does the mounting area/tabs, if you will, look pitched? And the pads don't fit the caliper or once on the caliper, the caliper won't slide over the rotor? A friend of mine purchased some from one of the parts stores, and we had to take a grinder to them b/c the friction material was too thick. If they're loose, did he happen to lose the retaining clips that fit between the ends of the pad and the caliper?

Do/did you work at Autozone? I have to say, you've got one of the nicer looking 3rd Gens around here. I yes, I go to Holt every once and a while to hang out, I don't run since this is the only driver I've got right now, need not to break anything .

I will check the mounting area tommorow and see if they are pitched. The problem we were having with the pads is we couldn't get one back in. We could get the one against the piston in fine but for some reason we can't get the other one in. The top part of the pad with the two notches would go in but we could not get the bottom part of the pad flush with the caliper.

Yeah I worked at Autozone for a little, easy job Thanks for the compliment. I keep it in nice shape because I want to set an example for 3rd gens. A lot of the ones you see are all ragged out and beat up. Wish I would have known you are in Crestview. Two weeks ago a bunch of guys meet up at Hooters, we had over 20 cars, good times.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mike83z
Thanks for the guide. It will come in handy since now I know the caliper can be taken apart. So I should hopefully be able to get that pad and caliper installed tommorow.
Are you talking about rebuilding a caliper?
If so, here is a guide on the LS1 4th gen front caliper:
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...er_rebuild.htm
I know its not the same caliper as the 3rd gen, but it should still be a good reference.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Launching!

Hmm, I wish I could help better with the brakes, hard to tell without looking, hopefully the articles posted by VIP1 help out.

Your 3rd Gen is definately top notch in NWFL, and like you said, most others look horrible. Did you restore it or buy it that way? If anything comes up, PM me, I've been looking for a good group of car guys to hang with...

Quick Reply: Are my backing plates on right?