Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

when installing sway bar links...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Default when installing sway bar links...

does it make a significant difference if they arent even? what i mean is, the nut on the passenger side is tightened to the point that it is one half inch higher than the driver side. i tighten both sides until they were snug with no play, im just wondering if one end of the sway bar being slightly higher than the other will make a difference.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is only one side of the car jacked up? That could be what's causing the bushings to compress differently.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't be a half inch difference though, even if one side is jacked up. Are the bolts the same length? Are the metal spacers/sleeves the same length? They should be.. I usually seem to have about 7-8 threads on top of the nut by the time things stop spinning by hand.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

it may not be a full half inch, i didnt measure it. there are about 3 more threads visible on the link on the passenger side than the drivers side. i dont see why it would be too much of a difference, as they are both fairly equally snug and there is no play in the linkage. im just making sure before i leave it in there like that.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

It's probably close enough for govenment work. It's likely you wouldn't notice the difference unless you're competitively racing it.

Ideally the bar arms should be level at rest with the rear end loaded and the car on level ground. Loosen both endlinks, and then snug up one side real lightly. If the other side is not touching, then the side which you've snugged up is pre-loaded. I'd recommend trying to shim the 'low' side with some fender washers assuming your bolt length is adequate. You could also try mixing and matching endlink lengths but that may take more time.

Quick Reply: when installing sway bar links...