Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear LCA differance

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear LCA differance

I'm looking into getting some LCA soon. with all the different kinds, I'm not sure what to get. anyone have info/ideas as to which would be best: adjustable/non adjustable, single/double adjustable, rod/rod, rod/poly, boxed or tube........?

I have so far: koni SA/strano springs. rears to almost full soft, fronts 4 sweeps from full hard. I'll be getting an adjustable PHB with rod/rod ends soon. I autox at a local club (nothing too serious or competitive), and its a weekend/nice weather driver.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

I have UMI Single Adj with rod/poly ends. If you go with rod ends expect more noise from the ends.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

as said above rodend would be least flex, but most noise...thats why the rod/poly option is around to try and be a mid ground...doubles adjust on car, while singles must be removed to adjust, i would go with tubed over boxed personally for less weight...the amount of power you would need to stick to bend a tubular lca would be pretty extreme IMO
Old 07-01-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you really need new LCAs? It sounds like you're not big into drag racing.

The stockers aren't so bad as long as your not pushing them real hard as in a drag launch.

LCA's need to twist. The stock stampings allow this.

You might want to put a little firmer rubber bushing in them though.

Going this route you'll have a nicer riding car and the suspension wont bind up and you'll save some money.

If you do go with aftermarket LCA's, they should have at least one rod end to enable articulation.

Anything with a rod end will naturally be adjustable. On-car adjustment is not a big deal as you really wont ever adjust them. On car adjusters just weaken the piece in my opinion.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LCA's need to twist??

Since your car is lowered with Strano Springs you should get an adjustable Lower Control Arm with Relocation Brackets. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

i agree adjustable lca arms with relocation brackets
Old 07-01-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oldeskool is exactly right IMHO...said what I was going to.

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
LCA's need to twist??
YES LCAs need to twist. Its called articulation. When the body rolls relative to the axle, the stockers twist preventing bind. Thats why solid, poly/poly LCAs are drag race only pieces. They do not twist and create suspension bind in cornering and over bumps. This is the up side of rod ended LCAs. The rod ends allow for this articulation. So if you do go aftermarket, and want to corner/ride decent, get rod ends on at least one end. A poly/rod combo may be a good compromise due to rod ends inherant noise and vibration transfer.

All that said, I second Oldeskool with "do you really need LCAs?" It seems to me the only real problem w stockers is under hard launches at the drag strip or super sticky tires road racing. They should be good for your typical street car and ocasional road racer IMHO. And you could always add some stiffer bushings (1LEs) to the stockers for a happy medium.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
LCA's need to twist??
Yes they do.

I dont want to type it all again...

Oldskool & subtlez28 covered it.
In short, the rear axle needs to articulate. Poly limits this articulation and introduces bind which can lead to unpredictable handling and mounting point failure. Rod ends provide more articulation and control.

If I find my post on articulation, Id copy it here too.

...copy and paste on what adjustable LCA and PHB do...

Originally Posted by vip1
* Adjustable LCAs allow you to adjust the rear axle forward/aft/diagonally.
* Adjustable PHB allows you to adjust the rear axle left/right.
* With both you can adjust the rear axle in all horizontal directions (left/right/forward/aft/diagonally) to center it under the car.
* Ajustable PHB isnt necessary for stock right hide, but is necessary when the ride height is changed (ex: lowering the car).

That being said....
I have stock right height, but I do have adjustable Spohn rod/poly PHB and LCAs. My rear was a bit off with the stock parts and is all straight now with the adjustables (adjusted by the mechanic during an alignment...you have to ask for it and may need to convince them to do it).

Last edited by VIP1; 07-01-2007 at 08:37 PM.