Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Problem with adjustable panhard bar

Old 07-06-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with adjustable panhard bar

After I put my panhard bar in by the instructions it is rubbing on the driver side when I take the car sideways or a hard left turn. Before I put it on I lined it up perfectly with the stock bar hole to hole. I went to put it on the car but for some reason it was to short and I turned it 2 full turns to get it on. After I took the plumb bob and measured both side to what ever 1 1/78 of a inch whatever it was and it was dead even after a few adjustments. Now the car rubs on the driver side alot and I dont know what I am supsed to do becuase the measurement is even on both sides. Anyone have any idea? My rims are 18 by 10 out back with 295 35 18. They did rub slightly if I took a hard turn with the stock bar but now just fishtailing it rubs alot. Im thinkin just ditch it for a non adj?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:16 AM
TECH Resident

Are the wheels even on both sides as far as sticking out evenly on both sides? I installed both tires and then adjusted the PHB till both tires at the same point in the wheelwells. It isn't scientific but if to truly center the rear means one tire sticks out more than the other then I have problems.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also make sure your measurements to center the axle are done w the weight of the car on the tires (in other words at ride height). The axle moves in an arc during its travel w a PHB, thats why an adjustable bar is needed w lowering. I see no advantage to switching to a non adjustable PHB.

Be patient, you will get it!
Old 07-07-2007, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by revtime
Are the wheels even on both sides as far as sticking out evenly on both sides? I installed both tires and then adjusted the PHB till both tires at the same point in the wheelwells. It isn't scientific but if to truly center the rear means one tire sticks out more than the other then I have problems.
Yes, I did measure it at ride hight and I used the plumb bob. I did measure it at the center of the rim but on the top lip of the rim not at the center cap. Is that my problem? From there both rims are even on both sides sticking out
Old 07-07-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

just move the axle, using the panhard adjustment, till is doesn't rub on either side and leave it there. A little off center does not hurt anything, but rubbing might.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greggy
just move the axle, using the panhard adjustment, till is doesn't rub on either side and leave it there. A little off center does not hurt anything, but rubbing might.
Please define a little. Since this is my next upgrade, I am very interested. Currently, my axles are off by over 1/2 per side.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Please define a little. Since this is my next upgrade, I am very interested. Currently, my axles are off by over 1/2 per side.
Your axles are off by 1/2 ?? inch? per side seems like a lot, a total of a 1/2" is not very bad.

A little would be less than 12mm/1/2" these suspensions will usually need no more than 5mm if it's rubbing it's not centered unless your tires are too wide

Start with the stock length and go from there
You are welcome to PM me if you need more detail.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGOETZ
Your axles are off by 1/2 ?? inch? per side seems like a lot, a total of a 1/2" is not very bad.
A little would be less than 12mm/1/2" these suspensions will usually need no more than 5mm if it's rubbing it's not centered unless your tires are too wide
Start with the stock length and go from there
You are welcome to PM me if you need more detail.
Yup. The total was around 13/16", IIRC. At a dig, under full boost, it just goes to the right.
I had asked a "pro" mechanic about the sideways thing and his response was "they all do it". End of mechanic.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Yup. The total was around 13/16", IIRC. At a dig, under full boost, it just goes to the right.
I had asked a "pro" mechanic about the sideways thing and his response was "they all do it". End of mechanic.

"Pro" mechanic...interesting, yeah I'd get rid of him.

The Panhard Bar centers the axle and controls the tendency for the differential to shift from side to side. Double adjustable versions(ones that can be adjusted while bolted in place) are the best value if you're looking to upgrade.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with adjustable panhard bar